Tuesday, September 05, 2006

"Lay Down Your Burdens"

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
- Thomas A. Edison

Hard work hardly ever wears me out. It's the people. People and their problems have worn me paper thin, this year. And, though it's only been the usual suspects, they've had an impressive number of problems, of late.

I've got a big yard, 'cause I've got big plans. The water feature, the wildflower garden, the new deck, the new steps, none of it done. This summer, I intended to do so much, yet it seems I accomplished very little. The bane of the calendar and the clock, time is up on all fronts.

Gardening season is 'over.' As are many painful things. Oh, there are bulbs to plant, if we're willing. And, for people in kinder climates, a few last perennials, too. But, all of that feels less like gardening, now, and more like something for later on.

And, so I look to post Labor Day as a time for much-needed rest. I am tired beyond words. And, that has less to do with gardening and a whole lot to do with life. I wish people could last forever. I wish summer could, too.

No comments: