Tuesday, September 26, 2006

To sleep, perchance to dream...

According to the latest medical journals, I have Circadian Rhythm Disorder. I think I'll use this term from now on - it sounds a lot sexier than saying I'm tired.

Since returning home 10 days ago, I've done nothing but sleep - 12, 14 hours a day, sometimes longer. And, I'm not opposed to a nap on Sunday afternoons. So, friends are worried.

But, this is nothing new. I make up sleep every once in awhile, though doctors say that's not possible. There are times when I sleep like a baby and other times when I just can't sleep at all.

And, so it's been, since April. My 3 a.m. ritual is to wander the house, stare out the window and play a lot of computer games. A dose of Ambien that could knock an elephant to his knees has little effect on me when I'm feeling restless.

Did you know that 80 million North Americans suffer from sleep disorders? And, that sleeping pills do nothing to remedy this problem?

If my blog entries haven't put you sleep, perhaps these plants can. When brewed as tea, all 3 promote peaceful slumber.
  • German Chamomile – (Matricaria recutita)
  • Lemon Balm – (Melissa officinalis)
  • Passionflower - (Passiflora incarnata)
* Hamlet was way more messed up than me. I know what's wrong. And, it's nothing a good night's sleep can't cure...

** Photos: Chamomile (daisies) and Lemon Balm (green foliage) grow easily in a zone 5 garden. Pamper Passion Flower (top photo) in a container - zone 10 Hawaiian beauty.

No comments: