I want to be kinder to people and helpful to wildlife. Plant more trees. Grow more veggies. And, ignore the folks who lament growing old. Because age is a box people put you in and no good ever comes from listening to those who think you should behave this way or that.
The first thing I'm gonna do is take care of the birds. They're as confused as me when it comes to life's little problems.
Did you know they're not flying South for the winter? It's true. Winters are milder, now, so many species are staying put. And, that's where you come in. Because the winters aren't that mild. The weather is volatile and food is scarce.
Lend them a helping hand. Favorite foods for winter birds:
- Unsalted Peanuts - Europeans have been doing this for years. Maybe that's why they have so many pretty songbirds...
- Cracked Corn - If you're lucky, you'll recruit more than birds. Maybe even a moose!
- Fruit - Apples, bananas, anything you're planning to toss out is a welcome treat.
- Black Oil Sunflower Seeds - Most every bird enjoys nibbling on these.
- Thistle - a favorite for the little guys, finches, wrens, etc.
This is gonna be a good year. I can feel it in my bones.
* Suet is a favorite of the bully bird, Starling. Remove suet from your outdoor feeding area so smaller, well-mannered birds will come to call.