Thursday, April 12, 2007

Blood From A Turnip

"We've squeezed as much blood from this turnip
as we're ever gonna get."


And with that, my tax guy handed me a pile of forms and a big, fat bill and sent me on my way. Each year, it's the same old story. I show up with a stack of receipts 12 inches thick and then the battle begins. If it were up to me, I'd write off everything as a business expense. Including the bike I pedalled to the Fed Ex box one day last summer. The only time it's physically painful to be a freelancer is when it's time to pay the piper.

Bill, the tax man, is a turnip lover. (Yet another reason to distrust him.) Turnips are a love 'em or hate 'em vegetable. Mom forced me to eat them as a child and I loathe them to this very day.

That's because she made me eat the wrong part. The roots are nasty, bitter, disgusting things but the above-ground leaves, the turnip greens, are quite tasty. They're also loaded with vitamins A and K, important ones if you're searching for that proverbial fountain of youth.

Turnip greens make a delightful hot salad. Immerse the greens in boiling water for just a few seconds and then flavor with bacon, onion and vinegar. You could also try blogging about it and then maybe you could write off the grocery bill as a tax deduction. (Hmmm...)

No comments: