Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Jacobs Ladder

When Amy made the long, lonely drive over Parley's Summit to pay me a visit, she came bearing gifts. That might have something to do with the fact that I have Tivo and she does not. Or, because I promised her dinner and she was probably expecting something fancier than chili and Fritos. Whatever the case, I made out like a bandit on this particular night.

Jacobs Ladder 'Apricot Delight' is destined for a prominent place in my butterfly garden. It's a long-blooming perennial that does well in high altitudes and partial shade. (In higher elevations, flowers fade quickly when planted in full sun.)

Jacobs Ladder gets its name for the leaf structure: successive pairs of leaves, on opposite sides of the 18" stalk, resemble a ladder.
  • Herbalists use this plant as a natural cough remedy.
  • For cats, it doubles as a punching bag.
  • I prefer it in a vase on the kitchen counter: bright green foliage and wispy pink blooms make a lovely wildflower bouquet.
* Jacobs Ladder, Polemonium caeruleum, 'Apricot Delight,' perennial, USDA zones 4-8. Pair it with the more common blue Jacobs Ladder variety to attract a number of unusual butterflies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A bribe, for the TIVO. I fully believe in positive reenforcement.
;-)

Jane Hendrickson said...

hey-you'll have to let me know how you get all the "extras" in the sidebar...ads and such. Is this helpful? Have you had positive feedback? J