Friday, September 18, 2009

My Favorite 'Coming Attraction' ~ Autumn Joy

Of all the perennials in my garden, Sedum is the one that truly deserves the title, 'Coming Attractions.'
That's because this big, beautiful, drought-tolerant, sun-worshiping succulent teases me for months on end.

She grows ever-so-slowly throughout the season.
Providing nary a hint of what's to come.
Pale green leaves make a nice backdrop to summer flowers.

Sedum patiently waits for a cool, crisp morning, just like this one. Because she's not trying to please you, she's much more interested in feeding the migrating butterflies and busy, little bees.

Sedum Autumn Joy has a great personality, changing colors as she blooms. This plant (photo above) is the same plant as photo below, shot 4 weeks later.

Right about the time I've forgotten all about her, I step outside, with my morning coffee and see a brightly blooming bush. Or, 2 or 3, or 4... Since every time it's in bloom I hightail it to the nursery to buy another one!

There are 400 varieties of perennial Sedum. I'd list them here, but I don't want to get carpal tunnel. Sedum 'Autumn Joy' is best known and most popular. The flower heads change color throughout the season, just like our favorite trees, ending up a rich, rusty brown.

Sedum Autumn Joy: Purchase this fall bloomer from Home Depot or other discount shop. They are such easy-care perennials, it's not worth the expense of specialty nurseries.

I love the succession of colors ~ buds have a hint of pale pink, blooms are deep, rich reds and pinks. The copper and browns of spent blooms look lovely in the freshly fallen snow. USDA zones 3-10.

4 comments:

Iron Needles said...

I looked into the local CSU Masters Gardeners thing here. Appears it is for the retired or self-employed. Classes are all day on a Thursday! Or in Boulder in the evenings twice a week...in the mountains, through the winter. That's not going to work!

Anyway. Growing season is winding down, and taking my heart with it!

PS. I have misplaced your mailing address. Would you please email it to me, and I promise I won't lose it again. Maybe...(becky.perry at comcast dot net) Thanks.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

MG Classes - all day on a Thursday? How silly. Doubtful you'd meet up with many fun-loving gardeners if the program is set up like that...

I will send you my address but don't do a drive by until I pull some more weeds! :))

k

Granny J said...

Some long time ago, I blogged about the wonderous variety of sedums available. At that time I was collecting any varieties I could find. However, the most interesting fact about the plant that I turned up via The Google was about sedum roofs (sod-style) in the British Isles.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Ooooh... I want a sedum sod roof! Another grand reason to become an ex-pat in the British Isles.