Ultimate Green Bean Casserole Recipe
(Feeds an army)
- Snap 2 pounds of fresh green beans into bite-size pieces.
- Drop them into a pot of boiling salt water (use a generous amount of sea salt.)
- Cook for 5 or 6 minutes.
- Drain beans in a colander, then plunge into ice water to stop the cooking. (They'll be bright green, crisp-crunchy and oh so delicious.)
- Remove the stems and slice up 1 lb. of white button mushrooms (tip: if you'd like to be extra hip and cool, use mini portobellos.)
- Simmer shrooms in 3-4 tablespoons butter + 2 tablespoon fresh garlic.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons flour.
- Add 1.5 cups chicken broth + 1.5 cups cream
- Salt & pepper to taste. (I use extra spicy Mrs. Dash.)
- Once the sauce is thick and bubbly, stir in those precious beans.
- Place a can of those yummy French fried onions in the bottom of a casserole.
- Pour in the beans and 'shrooms.
- Sprinkle another can of yummy French fried onions on top.
- Up the fat content a bit more with dollops of butter.
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.