Sunday, June 08, 2008

Brunnera

True confessions: Try as I might, I just don't care for Hosta. That's why baby blue Brunnera fills my shady spaces...Brunnera is often called a false Forget Me Not. Usually by people like me who forget about her each and every growing season. That is, until I stroll past her when she's covered with these little blue flowers.

This inspires a contortionist act of lying flat in the mud, taking pictures from every angle. There's lots of reasons to fall in love with Brunnera. Those silver, heart-shaped leaves are pretty as a picture. She never needs fertilizer or special care and that fits neatly into my lazy gardener agenda.

Then there's the amazing fact that this dainty little darling handles -40 (F) degree winters without blinkin' an eye...

Brunnera macrophylla is aptly named 'Jack Frost' - winter hardy to zone 3. Tiny, true blue flowers cover this pretty plant for the month of June (mountains) or May for lucky gardeners at normal elevations.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, would you mind sharing a bit of this with your shade gardener friend? I'd love to give it a try. KC

thismngardener said...

hmm-this sounds like something I should try for my back patio area! (all shade, hardy enough for MN winters)