Tuesday, December 30, 2008

DIY Bonsai

Stocking Stuffer!

Bonsai, the hard way? I guess that depends upon what kind of gardener you are.

I never evolved past the mud pie stage of childhood. So, the idea of planting a Bonsai from seed sounds kind of fun. The ultimate challenge!

Especially since Bonsai seeds don't exist.

If ya think about that, it makes perfect sense. Bonsai seeds are tree seeds. Bonsai is the 'art' of pruning and sculpting a tree to become a perfect little miniature of it's own great self.

I soaked the seeds over night. Now we're pretending it's winter in the back of the refrigerator. In 6 weeks, the 'real' planting will begin.

Oh, I know what you're thinking... "In 5 or 10 years, you might have a Bonsai."

Well, my response to that is an emphatic: "You're wrong." It will probably take 15 years.

But, who's counting? And, who cares? It was a thoughtful little stocking stuffer and I'm excited to see what grows.

PS: My soon to be tree is an Acacia. Take a quick trip to Tasmania to learn more.

2 comments:

Wunx~ said...

Beware the acacia, they have thorns and can bite.

Of course, considering the livestock that roams your home, that may be a good thing...

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Oh, I love that description. They are livestock, aren't they? I want a little kitty! And, a little puppy. A cat under 20 pounds and a dog under a 100! Now, that would be nice...