Wednesday, April 01, 2009

The Persistant Blossom

My Phalaenopsis Moth Orchid has been flowering, non-stop, for 15 months.

Ah... springtime.... Will it ever really get here? Drove down to the valley today to have my weekly battle of wills with horse, Tina. She's finally starting to like me! But, that doesn't really have anything to do with me. Everybody has their price. Hers is a piece of peppermint candy. Ever since I figured that one out, she's been putty in my hands.

Came home to a sun-filled living room and a gorgeous, gorgeous orchid that may never stop flowering...

And... I barely even noticed her because I was too busy wishing I lived in the valley. I'm what you call a fair weather friend. The second ski season is over I want to jump ship. Move down the mountain! Into the valley, where it's warm and sunny and the bulbs are blooming!

Alas, 'tis 8 long weeks 'til this girl's planting season begins. Tick... tock... tick... tock...

PS: If you fell for that line about my Orchid flowering for 15 long months, congratulations! You're my April fool. She's been flowering for 3 months though I still think that's pretty impressive.

9 comments:

Wunx~ said...

I was about to start chanting "Liar, liar, pants on fire," when I read your P.S. I remember late last fall when you thought you'd killed the little fella. Treat it right and it may make a truth-teller out of you.

BTW, my big white one has been in bloom for two years at a stretch in the past. It's about to come in again, so start your calendar.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Two years? I thought I was entering the record books at 3 months. Clearly I'm a newbie. She's grown several new buds since I practically killed her in the beginning so I'm excited to see them all in bloom. :D

Iron Needles said...

Agh! You two! I may have to get serious about...doing something...with my two foliage only orchids.

By the way, we have had a cold and blowy week, and snow forecast for tomorrow. I fear no lilacs this year. In fact, spring may never arrive...

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Iron -- We're attempting to turn the House of Wunx into a home for wayward (non-blooming) Orchids. Basically, we'll turn them over to her and only take them back if, or when, they bloom. This idea is workin' for me.. Stay tuned!

Eddie McArthur said...

Does anyone know about number of blossoms for the moth orchid? I have one that barely bloomed last year, and after moving to a different location this year, she has 18 blooms open at once and 2 or 3 more set to open. I've never seen anything like it? A record?

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

18 BLOOMS?? That's got to be a record! Send us some photos!

Eddie McArthur said...

OK, sorry to be a dummy, but how do I post photos with a comment? There is a pic taken when she had 11 blossoms open on my blog (www.journeywitheddie.blogspot.com) and I'd love to put a new one here, but I don't know how to do it in the comments. . . .

Eddie McArthur said...

OK, I just put new photos with 19 blossoms on the orchid on my blog: www.journeywitheddie.blogspot.com

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

I'm not sure how to do that either. But, I visited your site and WOW! That is one gorgeous orchid. :)