Sunday, June 21, 2009

Dampened Spirits

Quest and Sienna waiting out the storm.

I'm 50% savvy when it comes to text messaging:

I can read 'em! Have not, as yet, mastered the patience to respond.

Of course, there's no real reason to respond. It's pretty much a statement of fact that plans to saddle up the horses were, once again, rained out.

This was going to be a major horsey weekend! 'Twas the Strawberry Endurance Ride and K had volunteered to coordinate the camping.

Now, when I think of camping, I drag out my ratty, old tent. When K decides to camp she - get this! - rents a 2 bedroom RV! So I was all excited about roughing it.

Endurance is a distance horseback riding competition, generally 50 miles per day. With a happy little Equestrian Massage tent conveniently located at the finish line!

But then the rains came (again) to foil our plans and dampen our spirits. I don't know why I thought they wouldn't. It has rained incessantly for so long I hardly remember the beauty of this high plains desert.
Monsoon (grey horse, not the weather) has logged 3,000 miles in endurance competitions. And, it's interesting... I've ridden him and he barely moves on the trail. Unless he's competing, he thinks trail rides are a yawn.


And the winner is........
Best
Rain
Coat!







3 comments:

Wunx~ said...

Sorry to hear your weekend got rained on.

One question: who gets the massage, horse or rider or both?

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Yeah, that was too bad. It was a muddy, sloppy, cold and miserable mess!

Horse massage -- They're the ones that did all the hard work!

Wunx~ said...

I guess if it was for you, the masseuse would have to be working on your derriere since that's the part that would have received the workout.