Saturday, April 24, 2010

A Break in the Action

This drenching rain is the perfect opportunity for me to do... 
absolutely nothing.

More Advil, please. These first weeks of cleaning my garden beds are exposing the awful truth. This gal was far too sedentary over the long and dreary winter. Which is why I jumped for joy when I woke to a day that demanded I stay indoors.

Indoors, micromini roses have re-bloomed, though I barely had time to notice.

Spent the morning coddling my indoor roses who are bracing themselves for a full season of neglect. The instant that first Crocus bloomed, outside, I turned my back on what was happening inside.

That is, until this rainy day...

It came from outer space... Well, actually, it came from Hawaii but Mars sounds much more exciting. Hard to imagine that soon this ugly duckling will become a drop dead gorgeous Plumeria.

Christmas in April is in full swing. Every year, I lecture the Poinsettia ~ why such a rebel? Why not put on this colorful show in December? If she listens at all, it's in one leaf and out the other...

Crazy Edna, my ancient Christmas Cactus, continues with her marathon performance. She began flowering mid-November and is still going strong. Though I believe I have finally figured out why. I moved her to a high traffic spot in the hallway. Every time I walk past her, I empty out the last of my green tea into her container. Hmmm... do you suppose those antioxidants are making her feel young again?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Outdoors, high winds batter the garden. April showers, in the form of heavy, wet snow ~ a predictable, yet tiresome, necessity.
Remarkable, isn't it? Their happy perseverance? The way early spring flowers laugh off the nastiest of weather. These dainty darlings could teach me a thing or two...

18 comments:

Will said...

That first photo is one wonderful looking place to sit. And thanks for posting that video on kindness. Really makes you think. And even if her last line is not true, it brings a tear to your eye.

Noelle Johnson said...

Hi Kate,

I just love rainy days! It is always an excuse to bake cookies. Luckily, we do not have too many rainy days or else I would be much larger ;-)

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, Will! That last line brought a tear to my eye, as well. :)

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Me, too, Noelle! I love these very rare rainy days.

Lona said...

Oh girl, I know what you mean about the Advil. Muscles we never knew we had complaining.
It looks like Christmas at your home. They are always pretty. That cactus has a mind of its own.
Such pure white blooms. So pretty.

Gail said...

I love the first photo. I hope this is your place to sit and view your world...beautiful.

As for indoor flowers, I kill them all but outdoors I have better luck.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Oh, I hear ya, Lona;
I didn't even know I had back muscles until they started hurting... :))

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, Gail;
Yes, indeed it is. That's my morning coffee spot. :)

jan said...

The plumeria looks a little menacing at this stage... Hope your day of rest has restored you!

Shady Gardener said...

I understand. Congratulations on the enforced rest. :-) Have a great weekend!!!

donna said...

Your poinsettia looks gorgeous to me, no matter that it's April

My grandson would luv the looks of your plumeria...he'd think it was Predator, or Alien, or Piraka.

We had a lovely rain almost all weekend. I used that time wisely - eat, eat, eat, eat!

donna

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Thanks, Shady. :) My to-do list is so long in springtime that it's nice to have a good excuse to do nothing.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, Donna;
Yes, that poor plumeria looks pretty scary when she starts growing. Amazing transformation as she leafs out.

I hope you and Coo Coo used this rainy weekend to bake some yummy cookies. :)

BK said...

Thank you for the link up in the previous post.

The last shot captured my heart especially; they looked so fragile, delicate and yet braved through the weather so courageously. They certainly taught us a great lesson.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Thanks, again, BK! It's a terrific video. Glad to have discovered your site. :)

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Kate, what a beautiful view you have from your window! It looks like your indoor plants are doing good. I think my indoor plants would do better without my attention - I tend to overwater them. Green or any tea leftovers should be good for plants. I do the same. My sister believes that warm (almost hot water) is good for the roots.

Monica the Garden Faerie said...

Actually, I like your Mars baby. It's fascinating. Rained all weekend here, too. Also welcome because I walked my feet off earlier in the week AND now have a bad cold. Only problem is, I have a weed buffet now!

Wendy said...

I've got that crazy stick in the mud plumeria too. Actually, it's pretty tiny-fly infested right now. :(

LOVE that view!! you get to look out the window to those mountains??!