Friday, May 07, 2010

First Harvest @ High Star

Bok Choy, fresh from the High Star Organic Farm greenhouse.

Wednesdays I get to see how the other half lives. By other half I mean coddled organic veggies, safe from high winds and cozy warm inside the High Star greenhouse. It's just not possible to grow such pretty veggies in my own wild and woolly gardens.

I volunteer at this organic farm every Wednesday, where my zen-y chores include weeding ~ small intruders in the raised beds vs. the monstrous weeds that invade my own gardens.

High Star Organic Farm is at higher elevation than my frigid gardens, but it's a sauna inside these greenhouses.

I got roped into this assignment by innocently saying hello to the owner at a horse show about 2 months ago. It was a combination of me never being able to say no, guilt over the fact that Master Gardeners are expected to do community service projects though I never do...

Plus, volunteers get a share of these scrumptious veggies. Like I'm gonna pass that up.

First harvest included these fresh-picked radishes. I don't even like radishes, but they look so pretty I may need to expand my horizons.

Radish rejects go to Jake, our mascot. If he'll eat them, they must be marvy.

Have you ever wondered about the truthfulness of restaurants who claim their oh, so pricey menu items were fresh-picked, from local growers, that very day? In the case of fine dining in my tiny resort town of Park City, Utah, I now know for a fact that is true.

'Cause I picked 'em! And, I gave 'em a bath, too.

Bok Choy & Radish Coleslaw
  • 1 head fresh bok choy, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup red onion, chopped fine
  • 1 bunch radishes, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup fresh, chopped basil
  • 1/2 cup chopped green tops of fresh green onions
  • 2 tablespoons Litehouse brand light coleslaw dressing
* High Star Organic Farms is a brand new biz located in Kamas, Utah. In about another month they'll be strutting their stuff at the local farmer's markets.

24 comments:

Noelle Johnson said...

What gorgeous produce! I guess that is the equivalent to designer clothing as opposed to shopping at Target ;-)

Amy said...

What a positive place to spend time Kate - it's always great to see that organic produce is growing in popularity and usefulness. You live in a truly beautiful and enlightened area! That recipe looks pretty appetizing - my husband loves radishes!

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi Noelle;
I can't get over how gorgeous their greens are compared to mine! :) PS: I love Target...

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Thx Amy;
I wonder what it is with guys and radishes? Most men I know like them, most women I know, don't. Anyhoo... Your hubs might love that recipe. :)

Victoria said...

Yay...thanks for the lovely recipe..looks fabulous!! awesome!
Kiki~

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, Kiki;
It's a pretty yummy recipe. Enjoy! :D

Melospiza said...

Ooh. That recipe sounds yummy. I'm also marveling at the greenhouses--they look enviously low-tech, which always get my mind moving in dangerous ways (if I just get some 2 x 4s...and some plastic sheeting...I could have a GREENHOUSE!)

Luckily for my family my yard is too shady and too small. But still--are those really greenhouses built out of 2x4s and plastic sheeting?)

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Yep - that's all there is to them, though I like how they installed gorgeous wooden doors to spruce 'em up a bit. It's got me scheming and dreaming, too. :))

Granny J said...

If you are into making stews of any sort, pop in some radishes. They have the flavor of turnips -- but delicate. Actually, very tasty.

Gloria Bonde said...

Kate, when I started reading 1st harvest I was ready to fall off my desk chair. But then, I read greenhouse. Those radish do look good. I have trouble getting radishes. I like to plant them to repel flea beatles. But once in awhile I will harvest them from doing their job.

sweetbay said...

That's some beautiful produce. I'm glad you're getting some of the good stuff in return for volunteering!

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Well, Granny, you've never steered me wrong before but.... radish stew? Hmmmm.. :))

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Oh, Gloria, didn't you know? I'm a zone 9 garden. Ha! :)) I can't even plant my veggies until June 1st boo hoo...

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, Sweet Bay;
Yep, I'm very excited to make a big haul on some of their heirloom beets! :)

Carol said...

Kate! What a fabulous farm!! That first greenhouse is so beautiful too! I would work there too! Your food shots are fabulous! Yummy! Organic! Yeah!

jan said...

Getting some of that produce would be a perk worth weeding for, for sure!

KC said...

Looks like fun to me. I love the photos too. We missed you today but hope you had success!

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, Carol!
The people are a lot of fun, too. Here's to a summer of yummy organic goodies!

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

That's what sold me on the idea, Jan. It's not like I need another place to do weeding. :)))

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, KC;
I missed you and Sandy, too. I'd very much like to set fire to my to-do list.... Feeling a little overwhelmed with everything that needs to be done right now!

donna said...

I luv a good crunchy radish and your photo has me drooling for them.

Jake is so ferocious and mean looking....I'm kidding. He looks like a big old teddy bear.

High Star looks like a peaceful place to do volunteer work. Enjoy.

donna

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hey! A radish lover! Happy Mothers Day to you and the coo coo kid! :)

Johnny Nutcase said...

Jake eats radishes! Ha!, so cute! I love the radish and bok choy photos - um, yum!! I'm hoping to be able to have a tiny garden when we move...too spoiled here and i've become so lazy! Love the organic greenhouse pics too...so nice!

Wendy said...

wow. That is the most immaculate greenhouse I've ever seen! The bok choy looks wonderful. Great photo!