Thursday, May 13, 2010

High Star Farms and the Big Ouch

Baby Turnips, this week's harvest at High Star Organic Farms. 
Try the recipe (below.) You might like it!

Wednesdays, I volunteer at a local organic farm ~ though this week it was more trouble than toil.

The naive notion was for me to enjoy one quiet, zen-y farm day, every week, where I weed and harvest and let someone else do the thinking.

If that is even possible.

The whole time I was weeding I kept worrying about all the things on my own to-do list that weren't getting done. (I hate it when I do that.) Then C handed me one of their 'garden machetes' for harvesting lettuce.

Be careful, she says, they are very sharp. Yeah, yeah I thought to myself, completely distracted. Marched over to the lettuce bed and promptly sliced my index finger almost to the bone.

Baby Sunflower rejects rescued from the compost bin, destined for my flower garden.

If I had the subliminal wish of getting outta there early to get back on schedule with my own chores, then chopping off the finger worked like a charm. Though, it absolutely didn't. Since I spent the rest of the afternoon at the clinic.

Roasted Turnip Chips
(Don't knock 'em 'til you've tried 'em.)
- Slice turnips potato chip thin.
- Drizzle with olive oil
- Sprinkle with rosemary, chopped garlic, salt and pepper.

Roast in a 375 oven, for about 15 minutes.
Flip & brown on the other side, bake for approx. 15 more minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How Do You Do It?
I'm a flower girl. So, I'm sure I'll learn a lot while volunteering with the veggies. However! I am already bumping into a few confusing 'policies.' Such as thinning beets. Which I've never done. Though I thin carrots at home (for which my horses are eternally grateful.) I do so by watering the bed, to make the soil moist, then pulling the entire plant, tiny carrot root and all, out of the soil. So, the carrot neighbor has more wiggle room. Yesterday, I was told that all you have to do is cut the greens from the crowded beet neighbors and those beet roots will stop growing. Whaddya think? Is it really that simple?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PS: If you're looking to be supremely healthy, it's the turnip greens, not the turnips, that contain all the good-for-you benefits.

18 comments:

Snowcatcher said...

I think the same way you do... and now that you mention it, I think I should plant some turnips after all. The greens are worth having. And the turnips can stay in the ground and fertilize for next year's crop. :)

I left a challenge for you on my blog...

Snowcatcher said...

Geez, I forgot to say I'm so sorry about your finger and hope it heals up well. Glad you didn't lop the whole thing off!

Oh, and I absolutely love your hyacinths and can't wait to see what becomes of the sunflower rejects.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

A challenge? Ooohh... I'm excited. Popping over to visit you right now!

Jeannie said...

Kate...OWIE!!! I hope it heals up soon and isn't too painful for you. That is going to cramp your style. :(

Lucky you getting sunflower babies. Those will be fun to have.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, Jeannie!
I should say, cramp my style! I'm typing with one hand ~ this reduces my ability to drone on and on in my blog by 50%!

PS: The birdies are quite delighted at the prospect of a sunflower patch. :)

Noelle Johnson said...

Oh dear....it sounds like you got some stitches. I do hope your finger heals quickly. The turnips look absolutely delicious :-)

Lona said...

Ouch! Poor thing.I guess they really meant it when they said they were sharp.
I love turnips raw with just a little salt sprinkled on them but not cooked. Strange I am. LOL!
Those look good.

KC said...

Yikes, Kate. That had to hurt. I hope it heals quickly and you are good as new in no time.
I'm not sure on the thinning methods although just cutting the tops off of weeds does absolutely nothing but encourage them to grow more! So, I'm with you about pulling the whole thing up just to make sure.

Kathy Green said...

Your veggie adventure sounds dangerous :-) So will you be continuing, or was one slice of the hand too much? I love your new banner picture, it must be spring already where you are! Heal quickly, there is much work to do soon! Kathy

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, Noelle!
May I say one more time how much I enjoyed watching your butterfly release project... that was really fun.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Raw turnips, Lona? Hmmm... :)))

I thought I was expanding my horizons by doing everything in my power to get them to taste like potatoes!

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, KC;
It hurt. I cried. I'm a weenie. :)

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, Kathy!
It was spring... now it's winter again. Fingers crossed the weather warms up soon. I can't take much more of these rainy days. :(

sweetbay said...

Oh no, I'm sorry that happened!

Good tip for thinning root vegetables.

sweetbay said...

Oh no, I'm sorry that happened!

Good tip for thinning root vegetables.

Betty said...

Thanks for the tip! I always have trouble thinning...anything! Including my waistline! I like the tip and will use it this year.

Hope your finger is back to it's own wiggle room soon.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, Elizabeth!
Waistline - oh, yeah. I don't know why everyone frets about wrinkles as they age. It's my awol metabolism that drives me batty. :))

Lesley said...

Kate-I really love your site. I am going to try your turnip recipe too. I see your Senior VP Hole Digger and Lawn Wrecker -- so very cute. Your other team look like a riot as well.