Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Blood from a Turnip

"We've squeezed as much blood from this turnip
as we're ever gonna get."

And, with that, my tax guy handed me a pile of forms and a big, fat bill and sent me on my way.

Each year, it's the same old story. I show up with a stack of receipts 12 inches thick and then the battle begins. If it were up to me, I'd write off everything as a business expense. Including the bike I peddle to the Fed Ex box.

Bill, the tax man, is a turnip lover. (Yet another reason to distrust him.) Turnips are a love 'em or hate 'em vegetable. Mom forced me to eat them as a child and I loathe them to this very day.

That's because she made me eat the wrong part.

Tubbed, rubbed and scrubbed. Isn't she a beauty?
Turnip roots have a radish-like texture, slightly peppery. Not my cup o' tea. But the above-ground leaves, the turnip greens, are super tasty! They're also loaded with vitamins A and K, important ones if you're searching for that proverbial fountain of youth.

Turnip greens make a delightful hot salad. Immerse the greens in boiling water for just a few seconds. Pat dry. Saute olive oil, bacon, shallots, red pepper... add it to the greens, and voila! A healthy side dish that would have Bill, the tax man, grinning from ear to ear.

Hmmm... If I blog about them shouldn't I be allowed to write off turnips as a tax deduction?

13 comments:

caite said...

I love the greens and the root, both to look at and eat!

Susan in the PInk Hat said...

I've never had to eat a turnip, but I saw a recipe for a turnip Gratin in Gourmet back when it was still around that still makes me want to try it. I think you can still find the recipe on Epicurious. Just in case you are willing to give the bottom end a second chance.

Rose said...

I hate tax day! I keep seeing these commercials advertising all the ways you can spend your refund--what's a refund??

My mother used to make creamed turnips when I was young--I'm not a picky eater at all, but there is no way to describe these except to say "yuck."

Anonymous said...

Kate, I hope we can still be friends, because I absolutely LOVE the root. In fact, the photo has me slavering!

Lona said...

Your turnip looks yummy. I do not like the greens but I like to eat the turnips sliced and raw with a little salt for snacking.

HolleyGarden said...

I have never been a big fan of turnips. Maybe I should try the top part! Your recipe sounds good!

Carly said...

Huh, I never thought to try the leaves. Can't say I'm much a fan of them either; turnips or tax men.

Marguerite said...

Isn't that funny, I love turnips but have never eaten the leaves. I'm growing some in my garden for the first time this year so I'll have to try the tops.

Fleurs said...

Great shot, so beatuiful. And a great tip to use the leaves, got to try it.

Janie said...

Hmm, that's a thought. Since I blog about horses and Daisy, shouldn't they be tax deductions, too?
I've never been a fan of turnip greens, but maybe I should give them another try. I really need that Fountain of Youth element...

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Kate girl .. that may be called a turnip but it isn't what it used to be .. growing up it was a full bodied deep yellow flesh that was VERY tasty .. now it is an almost tasteless white-ish thing that is not near what we had as kids .. and I will admit, I loved them ! haha
Hey .. was it your birthday lately ?
I wanted to get over here and wish you a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!
Keep eating your greens girl and no one will be able to tell what age you are ? LOL
Joy

Anonymous said...

Dirt, I need help with dirt. We live in Heber and have a lovely fenced off part of the yard begging for a garden. BUT it is all super packed rock. Willing to add good dirt to one of the higher tiers, but need to know WHAT!!!

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, Heber Gardener;
Get rid of the shovel and invest in a garden fork. Much easier to break up hard soil. Put a couple inches of compost on top of the soil. When you're digging, the compost will mix in. As you improve the soil, earthworms will do the rest. They're like teeny tiny rototillers. Compost and more compost should do the trick. :)