Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Cowgirl Camps and the Fountain of Youth

Wild Asters in the New Mexico Backcountry.
 So, I had a birthday last week.

I like to celebrate birthdays once every 3 years (vs. annually) as I've discovered that makes growing older much more palatable. I'm surprised this hasn't caught on with more people because I've been 39 for like... forever. And, that's okay by me.

Rabbit brush speckles the desert landscape.
 Do you know what's the very best thing about growing older? Yeah. Me, neither.

I suppose there are no 'best things' about growing old. Unless, of course, we're talkin' midlife crisis. Because those are a whole lotta fun.

A+ for amazing effort? This pretty brush rooted itself in a small crack in the boulder.
This had to be the best birthday I've ever had. Because instead of sitting around home doing the same old thing I hightailed it down to central New Mexico. Where the sun is still shining and flowers are still blooming.

We cantered our pretty ponies through some astonishing landscapes.
I went to Cowgirl Camp! Where I got to ride horses for 3 long, lovely days through the most breathtaking scenery.

√ Met some amazing women who, like me, firmly believe horses are the fountain of youth.
√ Pigged out at a wild west Dutch Oven cookout.
√ Partially conquered my fear of snakes:


And! I shot a real live pistol. A Colt something or other.

Didn't hit the target, didn't even come close. But, I pulled the trigger. And, I only screamed a little bit because it was so loud.

Plus, I learned a very valuable lesson in life. With respect to that proverbial fountain of youth? Riding horses works... wrinkle creams do not.


"Repeat after me, Wendy, let's never grow up." ~ Peter Pan

 Follow Me on Pinterest


6 comments:

Laurrie said...

Love it, love it! Cowgirl camp sounds like the best place to be when a birthday rolls around. The gun doesn't sound like fun, but all the rest of it sounds and looks like heaven!

Rilly said...

Glad you had such a fun birthday...I quit thinking about them years ago. My daughter celebrates the anniversary of her 39th birthday...this year will be her 18th and she ain't liking it at all. Kudos for being that close to a snake.

Bonnie K said...

Happy birthday! Congratulations! Sounds like a lot of fun. Glad you faced your fears. Only goes to show it is never to late.

GRACE PETERSON said...

Sikes that snake looks menacing. Happy birthday to you and I hope you enjoyed 39 again. The area where you were riding looks beautiful.

Marguerite said...

Those are indeed some very pretty ponies. Like the idea of celebrating birthdays only every few years, birthdays are a bit overrated I think, all that acknowledging your age stuff.

Janie said...

This looks like a great trip! The oldest rider at Moab was 76. She looked great, straight as an arrow and pretty dang spry for her age. (And she was doing 50's, 3 days in a row!) Riding may well be the fountain of youth.