Saturday, December 22, 2012

This Most Wonderful Time...?

When the phone rang this morning, I refused to answer. I've heard enough complaints for one week.

Too busy sorting through recipes. I'm baking Christmas Cookies. You whiners and complainers can go to hell.

How's that for some Holiday Spirit? :))


In truth, I'm loaded with holiday spirit ~ it's just been the craziest week.

So, I'm putzing around the kitchen, putting off what needs to be done, for just a wee bit longer.

As in... maybe tomorrow. Or, maybe never!

Ever had a time when you feel like there's a hidden camera in the room? 

And you're the laughing stock on some reality tv show? Welcome to my world!


It's all because of my Faulty Furnace...
I've had 5 - no exaggeration - 5 different furnace repair people looking at this possessed machine. A new one every day this week. Nobody can figure out why it isn't working.
But here's the kicker ~ each of these repair people have said the exact same thing: You don't need a new furnace. Okay! Great! How soon can you fix it? Oh, I can't fix it. I don't know what's wrong with it. HUH?
5 days, 5 dumb-as-a-box-of-rocks repairmen later, I finally threw in that proverbial towel. Got together with annoying person #6 and bought a new furnace. And, bada bing, bada boom. The moment that old furnace saw me hand over a credit card for a new one, it must have realized it's days were numbered and I had won the war. Because it's been heating the house, just fine, ever since. [Argh.]

Onward and upward...

Wednesday, I scurried overt to the post office with my holiday packages & I brought along a notebook + pen. Because I was pretty sure I'd be standing in line for hours. Thought I could use that time to catch up on some work.

But, when I got there, it was just me and Mr. Mailman. Where is everybody, I asked? They were on time, Kate. They mailed their packages last week so they'd get there in 2012. Ouch. That hurt. And so did the expedited shipping costs he gleefully charged me.


I'm not the only one who's late. This lazy Poinsettia should have all red leaves, by now.

I'm not exactly ahead of the game this year. Well, I wasn't. But I am now!

Breathed a huge sigh of relief yesterday morning, when, just in the nick of time, UPS wheeled the gigantic box of bliss up the driveway. Inside? Gifts for everyone left on my list.

I had the best of intentions, spending sweet days, perusing tiny boutiques and picking out the perfect presents. A leisurely lunch with the girls, la dee dah... but this month went by in a blink. Between work, illness, and exorcising the demons from the furnace, December disappeared without having much fun.

Which is why I didn't answer the phone this morning. Nor do I intend to until the 26th.

'Cause we've got cookies to bake! 
Presents to wrap.
Parties to go to.
Pets to pamper.

'Tis the season!
Get yer shine on... 

Here's wishing you and yours a joyous Christmas + a delightful New Year. Do something nice for yourself today. You deserve it! Come to think of it... so do I.


Follow Me on Pinterest




13 comments:

Rilly said...

For you it's the furnace, for me it was the phone and/or internet. I LOVE you poinsettias. I finally went to beautiful silk ones because I could never make the real ones bloom again and it's seemed like such a waste to use then give away...and not bloom for someone else either. I can't do Christmas without a boat load of red throughout my home. Did some of my baking today, more tomorrow. Have a wonderful Christmas Kate....hugs, Shirley

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Merry Christmas to you, too, Shirley. Silk Poinsettias are awesome! They never cause any trouble and you don't have to water them! :D

A Garden of Threads said...

Could you send some baking this way!! Have a wonderful holiday Kate. Take care, hugs Jen.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

I would most happily do that, dear Jen. However! I ate all the Christmas cookies. {kidding}

Happy, happy! :D

Helen/patientgardener said...

Have a lovely Christmas and I hope your furnace behaves.
I think we put far too much pressure on ourselves at this time of year and sometimes it is better to shut the door on everything and just be, pottering as you go

Marguerite said...

ugh, repairmen at Christmas. No wonder you've had enough. Eat as many cookies as you want dear lady, I'm sure you deserve them. Have a wonderful Christmas and by the way, love the photo of your very bright and shiny tree.

Rose said...

Ah, the best laid plans... Glad to know you'll be warm this winter. Have a very Merry Christmas, Kate! .

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

I totally agree, Patient Gardener.

Happy Holidays and thanks for paying me a visit.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Thanks, Marguerite! Wishing you and yours a happy and peaceful holiday season.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Warm as toast, dear Rose, and I hope you are, too. Have a wonderful Christmas. :)

D said...

Although I have allowed my writing to slip for some months now, I would not be pleased with myself if I forgot to wish you a Merry Christmas, dear Kate. May 2013 bring you much joy and well being.

Snowcatcher said...

That sounds like a perfect retelling of my heatless Christmas back in about 1999. Same number of repairmen; similar diagnosis. Cold Christmas!

If the chilly nights get your flowers to bloom like that and you have a warm, comfy blanket, I'd say you've achieved something magnificent!

I hope your Christmas was better than your heater!

GRACE PETERSON said...

Tee hee. You want to know something interesting? Our furnace was making weird noises for about a week. I finally called a repairman. He came over, looked at it for less than 5 minutes and declared that we needed a new one. Well, I think our furnace must have been listening (like yours) because the noise ceased and been running perfectly ever since.

I hope you had a wonderful, joy-filled Christmas.