Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Wildflower Wednesday: The Prickly Pears

It's always summer somewhere... 


When you live as high up in the mountains as I do... 
searching out summer can be a full time job.
Because our winters last for 6 long months.


Therefore this wildflower lover schedules warm weather escapes as often as possible. And, when we go, we take our girls. As in the horsie girls ~ because these mares are perfect transportation for hunting down those elusive, and sometimes rare, wildflowers.


Last week, it was snowing back home, but we didn't care! We were trotting through the back country near Sedona, Arizona. On the Caballos del Sol annual benefit trail ride. I do declare our horses were as delighted with the summer weather as we were! 

* The Prickly Pear Cactus wows us with stunning blossoms in pink, yellow and orange... though I've never been fortunate enough to find an orange one in bloom. This plant is gorgeous and practical: Prickly Pear Syrup on french toast is quite tasty!

* I'm participating in Clay & Limestone's Wildflower Wednesday meme. Pop over to Gail's place to meet more flower lovers...

9 comments:

Alison said...

So beautiful and exotic. I need more cacti!

Barbarapc said...

We can grow Opuntia here - but I must say, it never looks as lovely growing here as it does where you are.
B.

Janie said...

Glad to hear you got out on your spring ride. I'll bet it was wonderful in Arizona. We spent 3 days in southern Utah. No flowers there yet.
Prickly pear blooms are so unexpectedly beautiful. Gotta love 'em.

Lea said...

Beautiful cactus blooms!
Pretty girls, too!
Happy Wildflower Wednesday!
Lea
Lea's Menagerie

donna said...

I grow Prickly Pear here in Wisconsin, but only the yellow. They're still buried under the snow. :(

Rose said...

I've seen the prickly pears in bloom before when I visited my daughter in Arizona--what an amazing sight! She moved to Texas a year ago, and I'm so sad I won't be visiting some of my favorite haunts in AZ every year now. Sedona is such a beautiful place, but needless to say, I've never explored it by horseback:) What a fantastic trip you must be having--enjoy!

GRACE PETERSON said...

This might sound weird but I'm actually drinking up the sunshine and blue sky from your photos. What beautiful cacti flowers. Your trip sounds wonderful for both 2 and 4 legged creatures. :)

Gail said...

Kate, I love prickly pears and am happy that they are native to Middle Tennessee. I even have a small stand! Someday it might flower as beautiful as these you've shared. Thank you for joining the celebration and sharing wildflowers~even though you are still in winter. gail

Lee@A Guide to Northeastern Gardening said...

Gorgeous cactus blooms. Prickly Pear cactus is also a native here on Long Island. I don't have any in my garden but my neighbor does and I admire the blooms every summer...so pretty!