Friday, June 15, 2018

The Rambunctious Yellow Rose

Wild Yellow Roses

Hi, Mom.

I always say that when she's in bloom. I grew up with this rose. She was a wild bloomer at my mom's house in South Dakota for as long as I can remember. As a tiny girl, I'd steal the flowers and wear them in my hair.

In 2003, when I was starting my own garden, Mom gifted me one of her 'children.' An off shoot of the big rose bush.

Which scared me half to death.

You know.. one of those pressure plants where you don't want to confess to the owner that you killed it!


"Fear not, young gardener. I love it here." 

The second her roots touched the soil she felt at home. And, has slowly but surely squeezed out every other flower in this section of my garden.

Fine by me.

*  She's not actually a wild rose bush. At least, I don't think so. But, she's tough as nails. Fully intends to live longer than me. Never gets a drop of water. Doesn't really care...

No comments: