Monday, August 09, 2010

I Do Declare...

"Look at them. Look at them! How can they do their job if you won't look at them?"

That was the frustration I'd hear from our neighbor, Mrs. Lampe, when I'd walk past her house and not comment on the pretty flowers. I was in grade school at the time so naturally I wrote her off as a crazy, old lady. [Who resonates pretty well with me, these days, as I evolve into one and the same.]

I was thinking about her as I said a fond farewell to this weekend's house guest. Who did not even glance at my flowers while she was visiting.

I don't know how you can miss my flowers. They're everywhere. But sometimes we get so wrapped up in our over-burdened lives that we tend not to see all beauty that surrounds us.

And, I will confess ~ I can't be too peeved at M for ignoring the pretty parts of life. Because I've been doing the same, darn thing. All summer long.

It's remarkable to me, how easy it is to see what everyone else is doing wrong and how making those same observations about my own self is next to impossible.

Not sure what possessed me to make this the year to Get Everything Done. To finish ALL of the landscaping. To do ALL of the repairs on this fixer upper house. To train both horses. Inspire Bad Dog to become a model citizen. Learn how an organic farm works...

That infernal list goes on and on. Well, it did. Until I tore it up last night. About 5 minutes after I heard the nightly news guy mention that autumn is just 45 days away.

Yup. Two stranger than fiction epiphanies in the span of five minutes:
  1. The local anchorman reported something meaningful.
  2. I've frittered away my entire summer being productive! 
This has got to stop. There is no room in this lazy gal's life for such a serious work ethic. Therefore, I'm declaring this the week to do none of the things I'd planned to do. Even though they really need doing.

So, who's up for a play date??? I can have the horses saddled in no time...

19 comments:

joey said...

Having a hard time wrapping my arms around a disappearing summer, I don't want to hear about autumn ... I don't want to think of autumn, Kate :( But your post is sure pretty and, as always, a joy to read. Happy Monday morning musing :)

lifeshighway said...

I am, I am but I'm at work but I sure could pretend to be productive.

The flowers are spectacular.

Susan in the Pink Hat said...

Oh I could SO USE A PLAYDATE as I'm contemplating moving a houseload of furniture here from CA this weekend, putting off my patio project until next spring so we can move a 25' fir to another part of the yard, and having to cut down my apple tree because it is infected with black rot. Saddle up.

Jazevox said...

those are really beautiful flowers, i love gardening its very rewarding to see all your planting hardwork paid off when you see all the blooms! jazevox

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

The feeling is mutual, Joey. We can be in denial a bit longer... :)

Thx, Lifeshighway. Play hooky! We all need a break.

Hi, Susan - the patio project can wait. Pull on your cowgirl boots and lets go have some fun. :D

A Garden of Threads said...

Oh yes, I get so busy I forget to stop and enjoy. I am up for a play date, but I have not been on a horse in 25 years. Be sore the next day.

Monica the Garden Faerie said...

You go grrl! You are so funny. I used to be really productive and now I'm pretty damn lazy. :) This comment was supposed to be much more meaningful, but FALL IS COMING!

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Sore, maybe, Garden of Threads, but I'm sure you'd have loads of fun!

Let's start a lazy club, Monica. I'd be all over that. :D

Iron Needles said...

I will fight the approach of fall kicking and screaming. I still don't have a ripened tomato yet.

Amy said...

Kate, I know exactly what you mean re looking at flowers. The same thing happens here frequently - I always wonder why a family member or guest wouldn't naturally walk through the garden marveling at my domain! Fortunately they have other enduring facets so I try not to take it personally.

I also love your idea of NOT accomplishing anything; the only time I can "accomplish" that is when we travel, but then there is the navigating etc. Oh well! I think your flowers are incredible - rich colors to brighten a pretty short growing season, right?

KC said...

Your ambition has not rubbed off on me, thankfully. I'm always up for an adventure...too bad I don't have a saddle;-)

Snowcatcher said...

Can I pedal alongside??? :)

I don't think you've frittered away the summer at all. You've accomplished a lot. You had a HUGE list! And you've been posting some gorgeous photos of your flowers. Something came of this summer!

But I, too, can't believe it's almost over. Up on the mountains last weekend, we could almost feel a touch of autumn in the air already.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

At least you have tomatoes, Iron! That's better than moi...

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Thx, Amy :)) It is kind of funny ~ we gardeners are a mild mannered sort but we need a compliment now and then or things go awry.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

KC, I've got an extra saddle with your name on it..

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, Snowcatcher - I was feeling that touch of autumn last night while stargazing. Downright chilly outside! I just can't believe how quickly this summer has flown by...

Gloria Bonde said...

Hi Kate, I am so not ready for cold weather! I need the sun....but I actually picked up an Agatha Christie book that I must of bought at a yard sale and I have sat myself on the porch and am enjoying it! I will see you soon and guaranteed I will be goo-goo gaga over the flowers!

Unknown said...

me for horsey rides. Except I don't know how.

Meanwhile, I loved your post. I must say I often have the opposite kind of visitor: one who wanders through my (extremely weedy, overgrown, out of control, unplanted, etc, you get the picture) garden, exclaiming at how beautiful ... how natural .... how colorful ... how well balanced, etc, it is. I pull myself up short and think, 'huh, all I've been doing is mentally apologizing for the mess. maybe I should step back and SEE the beauty I have attempted to plant, and which nature has carried out way beyond my feeble efforts.' Er. thanks, I'm glad you like it.

Now that you mention it, fall IS seeming a bit close for comfort. One good thing for lazy slackers like myself (who have been too busy doing other things to get half my garden projects done), when you live in a short season climate like I do, that first frost eliminates a lot of projects instantly, and afterwards I can shelve some of the unborn and unfinished tasks until next spring, and get on with easy things like moving rocks, moving too-big shrubs, and (still) getting weeds out and mulch on.

Melanie J Watts said...

Good for you Kate enjoy the sunshine while it lasts. Awesome photos BTW.