Friday, February 26, 2010

Friday's Freebee: On The Cuff Goody + Last Week's Winners

 
Last Friday, I had a bright idea. Offer up a FREE passionately purple perennial garden (seeds) to anyone who could guess the identities of a few pretty flowers. This was fun. (Please scroll down to bottom of post to see plant ids and seed winners.)

The flower I thought might be really hard, turned out to be quite easy. The flower I thought was a slam dunk not only fooled a few, your guesses fooled me, too. I don't plant annuals (they can't handle our volatile weather) so I know very little about them. Stock was the guess. Stock? What's Stock? Well, now I know. Plus, she looks like someone I'd like to grow.

"And, now for something completely different!" 
~ M. Python
Make a true confession and I'll send you one of these.

Have you ever been bitten by the inventor bug? I come up with a new idea every week. Have not, as yet, landed on anything the slightest bit worthy of patenting but that hasn't stopped me from pondering the many ways to make a million. Clearly, I need to get together with Rana. And, take some copious notes.
 
Rana invented these nifty, little foam cuffs. If you visit her website you'll see they're only available in Texas. Why should Texans have all the fun?


Put them on your wrists when you're washing your face and they stop the water from running down your arms or getting your shirt sleeves wet.

I've used them and I really like them but they're not just for bipeds. Bad Dog can't get enough of them ~ though he's a little sore they come in sets of two vs. four.

Want some? All you gotta do to get your wrists in a free pair of these drip stoppers is...  

Leave a comment and expose to the world...
your most hated household chore.

Easy peasy.
Last week's winners of the passionately purple perennial garden are... 
Gloria, Lona, Monica, Betty, Flowercents, Sweet Bay, Kylee and Rose. Oh! Didn't I tell you? You didn't have to guess correctly. You just had to guess! If you want some flower seeds, please drop me a line. I'm all excited to send you goody bags.

Passionately Purple Perennials: Upper left: May Night Salvia, upper right: Cranesbill Geranium Johnson's Blue,  lower left: River Prairie Phlox, lower right: Kashmir Sage, smack dab in the middle: Dame's Rocket (with one very happy Swallowtail Butterfly.)

Why give away free stuff on Fridays?
Rest assured, it wasn't my idea. Every once in awhile somebody sends me a goodie and asks me to give it a try. Bad Dog decided it was time to share the love.
 
* Don't worry. Your Freebee is not the one BD was modeling.

* PS: I don't have tons of these so howsabout we pull the winners out of a hat?

14 comments:

OmegaMom said...

Cleaning the bathroom is #1 on my hated household chores. The only thing that makes it even halfway tolerable is that the bathroom is then...well...clean. Dishes are a close second.

What I *love*, however, is doing laundry. I know there are folks out there to whom washing & drying clothes is heavyweight drudgery, but I get all Zen-like doing it. And I love folding warm clothes. Sick, I know.

Anonymous said...

My most hated household chore? All of them. Particularly anything having to do with dirty dishes.

Luckily, I married the world's best wife. He does all the cooking, most of the cleaning, all of the dishes and loves me anyway.

I know, right? I don't deserve him.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Dear Omega - Please come be all Zen at my house! Laundry is my most hated chore. In fact, I've been known to go skiing in my pajamas (under the powder pants, of course) rather than wash the long undies.

Hi, Titanium - Oh, I'm sure you deserve him but if you ever grow weary of all his domesticity you've got my number! tee hee

sweetbay said...

BD looks like he doesn't know what to think of those wrist muffs. lol Although it's pretty clear he feels victimized.

I haven't seen River Phlox before, that's a beauty! At first I was even wondering if it was verbena.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Could have been worse, Sweet Bay. I could have modeled them. Yikes.

PS: Bad Dog knows the drill. Sit still for 1 minute and I'll hand you 2 tasty treats!

joey said...

Great idea ... I HATE, HATE, HATE wet sleeves (and don't like them either :)

Monica the Garden Faerie said...

Like Bad Dog, I can also sit still for a minute if I know I'm going to get a tasty treat. But my tongue is way less impressive.

Now I don't feel at all bad for not knowing what Kashmir Sage was, because that is so not what I would have guessed, had I guessed.

So, oh boy, oh boy! I would love, love, LOVE some seeds of the Kashmir sage. I'll email you my address.

And, fwiw, dame's rocket (Hesperis matronalis) is invasive here in southeastern Michigan; it's taking over woodlands and suppressing spring ephemerals. The city of Ann Arbor has it on its official invasives list.

Monica the Garden Faerie said...

P.S. What kind of doggie is BD? (I know this is probably REALLY obvious to dog people, but I'm clueless.) Does BD have another name, like Cute Dog?

Gail said...

How did I miss passionate purple?? My favorite color.

I really detest doing dishes. I think why should I wash them...I did not mess them up.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

I hear ya, Joey. :D

Monica - Bad Dog is a red white setter. A registered breed believe it or not. They're sort of rare. I'm no dog collector... I happened to find him up in Idaho, as a little pup for sale, and fell madly in love with his polka dots.

Hey, Gail;
I have extra seeds. Just give a holler if you'd like some. :)

Wendy said...

Least favorite is unloading the dishwasher. Fortunately, I've convinced my husband that he'll need to do the dishes for the next 14 years since I did them for the first 14 (before I wised up to the unfairness). Those wrist cuffs are pretty crazy. Either my mom or my 11 year old would really appreciate them!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate~~ You wouldn't believe this, okay maybe you would. Just yesterday I was in the kitchen pouring something, I can't remember what now, but water ran down my arm, inside my sweater's sleeve and it was c..c...cold!!! I think this idea is ingenious. Not just for the face washing but also the Klutz in the Kitchen.

Least favorite chore? Hmm... it's been so long since I've done any of them. :)

Rose said...

I think I got one right:) And the one I was positive about was wrong! To make matters worse, I have "May Night" salvia in my garden:) Thanks, Kate, for picking my name anyway!

Bad Dog makes a great model. Those little foam cuffs are a great idea--I walk around every morning with wet sleeves for a couple of hours after washing my face. My most hated household chore? I think it's simply picking up clutter, because it seems to be a never-ending job around here, especially with Sophie and her penchant for digging in the trash. I'd love some seeds--purple is my color!

Rose said...

Whew! I realized after I left my comment that I never bothered to check the link on my name...I'm sure glad I was the Rose you meant:)