Thursday, July 28, 2011

Chief Joseph and The Bucket List

Proud member since... yesterday!
Tomorrow, I’m off on a big adventure. Riding an Appaloosa horse, 100 miles in 5 days, through the Targhee National Forest.

My friend, Janet
Been dreaming about this since I first heard of it 4 years ago. Never really expected it to happen because the ONLY horses allowed on this special benefit trail ride are registered American Appaloosas.

But, that’s the cool thing about wishes. If you declare them to one and all. And, then talk about them incessantly to any poor friend willing to listen…

Sooner or later some wonderful person will step up and help you make this dream come true. If, for no other reason, than to achieve a little peace and quiet the next time you get together for dinner.

Brief History Lesson:
The Chief Joseph Trail Ride is so-named to honor the leader of the Nez Perce. As with most stories of Native American history, there is nothing pretty about this one. When the U.S. government tried to re-locate them - they chose, instead, to seek asylum in Canada. Traveling 1,300 miles over mountain terrain, with the U.S. Calvary in hot pursuit. They credited the athletic ability of their Appaloosa horses (a breed developed by the Nez Perce Indians in the 18th century,) for continually out-maneuvering us whities.

I don’t want to dwell on all the negative aspects of this because it was a long time ago and people back then were… well, too uneducated to know any better. ‘Nuff said.

I’d much rather glorify these stunning spotted horses.

Cutest cowgirl in our tribe.
This is Sable. On loan to me from my dear friend at Acacia Riding Adventures (Click the link! It’s a shameless plug for a horsie vacation! And, oh ~ by the way? ~ I built his website.)

My own little red mare is none too thrilled with this newcomer in her corral. Even more ticked off that I’m stepping out on her for a sweet vacation with the new gal.

Sweet and painful, I might add. 20 miles a day on a horse? Yowza! Now who wants to loan me a comfy gel saddle pad?

* It takes 13 years to complete the Chief Joseph Benefit trail ride - 100 miles each year for a total of 1300 miles. The route follows the Nez Perce flight from the US Calvary in the late 1800’s. It originates in Joseph, Oregon and ends in Bear Paw Meadow, Montana, just 40 miles shy of the Canadian border. Where I am sorry to say, Chief Joseph was forced to surrender.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

How wonderful! Have a great ride!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I hope the ride is all you think it will be. What interesting history. Gel saddle?? Never heard of such a thing. I hope you have a gel blanket for the horse. What a beauty. My Grandfather had a red appaloosa. He was fierce.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Thanks Patricia!

Lisa: Not all of them are fierce. Would love to put you on this gentle beauty...

Laurrie said...

Fascinating. At the ranch in Wyoming I go to you would be laughed off the trail if you had a gel saddle, but boy does one sound good. Especially for the kind of ride you'll be doing. I'm impressed. Enjoy every minute of this adventure, even as you think about the significance of it.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Thx, Laurrie :))

What ranch are we talking about? Let's meet up there some time.

Anonymous said...

You should try a barefoot treeless saddle, mine feels like a cloud on my butt :) it is also much less weight for the horse to carry, alot of endurance riders use them.

Janie said...

Wow, what an adventure! I had never heard of this but it sounds like a lot of fun and a chance to cover a lot of territory. I hope the appaloosa gives you a good ride.

sweetbay said...

Have fun! My neighbors have appies and paints and then minis in all colors, and sometimes I feel a little plain with I have a gray and a bay. lol Oh well, they have their own gorgeousness. I hadn't seen the flymasks with the lipstick and eyelashes, I'll have to look for them!

KC said...

Sounds like a grand adventure. Hope you have a wonderful time.

Rilly said...

Don't know what's worse, your 100mi horse ride or my 69 yr. old friend's 5 day hike in the mtns. of Alaska...by herself. Color me wussy! Happy trails to you.
http://gullible-gulliblestravels.blogspot.com

Alison said...

This is so exciting! I hope you have a blast and aren't too sore at the end of it.

Lona said...

What a great adventure. The horse is so pretty. Have a wonderful time Kate. Oh, your poor t-hinder. LOL!

Marguerite said...

When I was a kid I was obsessed with horses and had all sorts of books about the breeds. I remember loving Apaloosa's because there was a name for each kind of colour pattern. Such beautiful animals. Have a great trip.

Peter said...

Amazing! Enjoy yourself!

Monica the Garden Faerie said...

Hope you are having/had fun on your adventure. Here's to sore butts! :)

Mark said...

Those pictures were amazing!

Alan said...

Enjoy yourself!