Sunday, January 15, 2012

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day ~ January, 2012

I love it when GBBD lands on a weekend, when there's plenty of time to take stock of what's going on.

Outdoors ~ weirdness abounds. I was taking pictures out there, this morning, without a coat on. It's that warm. In January. In a ski resort.

Up close & personal with my favorite Kalanchoe
But, since it is January I hope I can get away with playing up my indoor garden..

By some bizarre stroke of luck, ALL of my Kalanchoes burst into bloom last week.

I squeeze all the colors into one big pot so it has a garden bed effect.
I take full credit for this though it's not from a good gardener's tender loving care. This sunny window is filled with a bunch of rebellious and horribly root bound houseplants crying uncle.

I don't have the nicest house but I do have a killer view.
I'm not very kind to my houseplants. I only re-pot them when they threaten suicide. I figure if there's no where to grow 'downstairs' (in the potting soil) then they'll get bizzy 'upstairs,' and gift me with lots of pretty flowers.

A few fab re-blooming Orchids. Hopefully more, next month.
I'm even worse with my Orchids. They're on crack 24/7. :) I soak them every Sunday in a diluted water/organic fertilizer mix. Which inspires fanatical blooms though I doubt they're all that healthy.

Micro-mini Roses
I was just delighted to see everything blossom this week because I had a garden friend visit on Friday and that window was a joy to behold.

African Violet
My one and only African Violet is putting on a pretty show.
 
I wish I could photograph her properly (her petals sparkle!) but I don't have a good enough camera... I used to have an entire window of these pretty violets until somebody (I'm not naming names, though it could be me) left them out on the deck on a freezing night.

One of the very few freezing nights we've had this year.

Winter has not yet arrived. I'm beginning to wonder if it ever will.

It's disturbing to me that the trees are not dropping their leaves. (Leaves are shed to ensure a tree's winter survival so the fact that they don't feel compelled to drop their leaves seems odd. Perhaps you know what's going on? If so, please fill me in.)

And, I'm doubly worried about the fact that they're budding. In January. Isn't that strange?

I'll leave you with a pic of my favorite houseplant, Auntie Edna...


She's still radiating happiness and I have high hopes she'll keep this up 'til Easter.

Happy Bloom Day, Everyone!

Pay a visit to Carol @ May Dream Gardens to visit more flower lovers for this Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day monthly meme.

18 comments:

Rilly said...

I'm envious.....

eileeninmd said...

Your flowers are gorgeous and yes you do have a KILLER view! Great photos.

Lona said...

The ski resorts there must be hurting for snow or do they make snow? Crazy weather just keeps going on. You have some lovely blooms indoors Kate. I love your Kalanchoes. I cannot get mine to re-bloom. I need to add them to the stubborn amaryllis's and toss the whole bunch. LOL! Your violet blooms are so pretty. Shame on that person for letting them freeze. LOL!

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Thx, Gals!

Hi, Lona;
Yes they do make snow but it's not the same. On a typical year, Alta ski resort would have 20 feet of snow by now. I think they have about 2 feet.

And, ya, ya if they don't re-bloom, to the compost pile they go! :))

Anonymous said...

Lovely! It has been a bad year for the skiers, though...

dorothy said...

You certainly do well with your house plants. They are just beautiful! I have only one kalanchoe and it has to live outside. Right now it is taking shelter under a glass topped patio table in the gazebo. I especially love that orchid. Happy Bloom Day!

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Thx, Patricia;
Yes, it has been a bad year. I know they're making snow but if I don't see snow in my yard I have zero energy to slap on the sticks and go skiing.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Lucky you, Dorothy!
Living in a spot where the Kalanchoes can stay outdoors all year long. Mine love it outdoors in the summer but they would never survive ~ even during this warmer than usual winter.

A Garden of Threads said...

Kate your indoor garden looks fabulous. Definitely a stunning view. Take care, Jen.

HolleyGarden said...

What a view! That's better than any bloom! Enjoyed seeing your houseplants. I can grow stuff outside, but my indoor plants are always ignored. Poor things.

scottweberpdx said...

I'm so jealous of you Kalanchoes...I have one that shows no sign yet of re-blooming :-(

Melanie J Watts said...

Kate, Your photos make me want to run out to buy another kalanchoe. Real winter finally arrived here yesterday with minus 20 Celcius, minus 4F. Tonight the thermometer is heading for minus 30C, minus 22F yikes!
Very strange about your trees?

Rose said...

You may not have snow, Kate, but you definitely have a killer view! All your houseplants just add to the view--love those blooming kalanchoes. It's definitely been a weird winter. We had snow and cold last weekend, but yesterday it warmed up again. If you tried to go skiing here today, you'd be skiing on mud:)

Marguerite said...

wow, do you ever do houseplants well. That window is a ray of sunshine and yes the view is divine. Mine are just limping along although I'm proud to say I haven't killed my orchid yet and I've had it one full year. no blooms on it but at least it ain't dead like some other plants I may have sent over the edge.

Yael said...

Your blooms are lovely. I really love the image of the flowers in front of the window with your mountains in the background.

Yael

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh my! Gorgeous! You sure do have a way with plants and fancy lady flowers. I wish I didn't have such a brown thumb when it comes to indoor plants, especially flowers. I bet having these lovely ladies blooming all winter, makes dealing with the cold, snow and wind so much easier.
I'll have to put your blog on my favorites. I live at 7,300ft in Tijeras, NM and I just started veggie gardening last summer. It's sure challenging at this altitude and with our climate that's for sure.
Do you grow an outdoor veggie garden, too?

~Lisa

Liza said...

Kate, thank you for my tomato seeds!

It's good that you don't repot your houseplants! Repotting should be put off as long as possible because it's soooo disruptive for the plants. They'll be happy as long as you add soil from time to time.

Janie said...

I love the photo of the flowers inside and the mountain view out the window. Gorgeous!
Yes, we are having a weirdly warm winter.