Saturday, March 17, 2012

Screamin' Deals, Kleinfeld Brides, and NYC

The Pond, in Central Park
Ah.... springtime in New York. Daffodils blooming, Central Park bustling...

Daffodils peek through the filthy remnants of winter.
But, there's no time to dilly dally.

Cheerful beds of Crocus greeted us along our Central Park stroll.
We're 6 months out from Ms. Peanut's (aka daughter L's) wedding day and we've already exceeded our unlimited budget.

That's a joke.

In fact, that's the running joke around these parts since every aspect of the wedding IS on a super tight budget.
No such thing as privacy in Central Park. I crashed this photo shoot. :)
But, I have frequent flier miles. AND a Priceline account. Plus (this is always surprising to people) I practically lived in New York in my younger years. And, while I find certain aspects of NYC hugely intimidating... shopping for a bargain is not one of them.

You'll find the prettiest things in the dirtiest places.
It's fun strolling along Canal Street while thieves lean in close to me and whisper words like "Channel... Dolce.." indicating designer brands are tucked in a truck in the back alley.

We did not go into the alleys. Nor did we buy any hot merchandise (much to my chagrin.)

However! I did score a stunning ~ and quite possibly not illegal ~ handbag for $38 bucks. In one of those Canal Street shops that aren't much bigger than your closet. Would have cost me $200 back home.

Way more fun than I thought it would be.
And! We said Yes to the Dress.

Have you seen that t.v. reality series by the same name? I haven't watched the show but we made an appointment there, more out of curiosity than great expectations of finding a fabulous gown.

It's called Kleinfeld's Bridal and it was every bit as cliche as you could imagine. Complete with bored cameramen, lounging in the lobby. And, mean ass Jersey girls. Oops! I mean brides to be, sending us death glares while waiting for their on-camera moments.

I'll take the solid gold apartment, please. Provided you let me garden on the roof.
It was so over the top. Felt like a huge waste of time to me... Right up until Ms. Peanut tried on what we knew instantly was The Dress. Picture perfect in every way (we're talkin' oodles and oodles of lace.)

And, now hear this! It was half the price of the dress we'd sort of liked, back in boring old Salt Lake City.

Last bastion of civility. The Boathouse Restaurant in Central Park.
I suppose you're wondering why I'm spoiling my daughter rotten flitting here and there looking for the perfect gown. Well, that's an easy one to answer. I didn't grow up in the kind of family where anyone did anything nice for me. Ever. And, so, when I became a Mom, I decided to change all that.

* 'Peanut' was my daughter's nickname when she was a little girl. I still use it, now and then, just to piss her off make her roll her eyes. :))

24 comments:

Rilly said...

I love "Say Yes to the Dress", don't suppose your daughter made it on camera....how neat that would be, but since you weren't one of those troublesome mothers, you didn't have a chance. I'm happy for you both, I'm sure her day will be perfect.

Alison said...

I'm thrilled that you found her the perfect dress! But...how could you not show us a picture of it? What a tease. LOL

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hey, Rilly!

It was soooo much fun! And, yeah, I think you're right. We needed to ramp up the 'bitch' factor big time if we had any hope of ending up on camera. :D

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, Alison!

Oh, I know! It's killing me!! But I'm not allowed to even describe it until the big day. Hmmm... what are the odds I can keep my big mouth shut that long?

Unknown said...

YAY!!! I can't believe how quickly she found it, too. That's wonderful. :-)

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

I'm dyin' to send you a picture, Kim. It's so pretty! And, you still owe me your address. I wanna send you some flowers for your big day. ;>)

Marguerite said...

now I'm dying to see that dress, although of course we'll have to wait, as will Mr. Peanut. I'm thrilled to hear that you and your daughter are having fun together arranging this wedding. So often it just brings chaos and frustration as people battle each other on who gets to make the decisions (I've got 2 weddings to attend this summer and already hearing the battle cries)

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, Marguerite;

I was talking with a Mom at a garden event a couple of weeks ago -- she mentioned that her one daughter did a 'goth' wedding. And, the other did a Halloween themed wedding. Once I heard her horror stories I realized I was getting off easy. :))) Which inspired me keep quiet and not to stir up any trouble with my own daughter. ha ha

Susan in the Pink Hat said...

Glad you found something and a bargain to boot! When I lived in Boston, I avoided NYC at all costs; count me in the intimidated camp. But ever since the High Line came along, I'm coming around.

HolleyGarden said...

I've watched that show. Congratulations on getting a good deal! I'm glad you're spoiling your little girl (but not going over your budget). Sounds like a fun time!

jan said...

Sounds like fabulous fun! Ms A and I are planning her wedding in the fall, as well. (Actually, she is planning it and I am trying to be of some help!) It is going to be held in the barn of the man who started the Pony Express (the house is a museum, but the barn is rented for events). The other night I dreamt that she wanted to rent the Budweiser Clydesdales for the event!

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, Susan;
3 cheers for the Highline. I didn't realize you were a Boston gal. That's one of my favorite cities. And, thanks for the tips. We'll still need a seamstress for alterations and will check to see if they handle such tasks... :)

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Thx, HolleyGarden;

It's been loads of fun. But, I'm glad we got that big decision out of the way... And, what a sweet treat to enjoy NYC in springtime. (It is snowing here, today. :(

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, Jan!
Pony Express museum ~ yeah! Now you're talkin! I naturally wanted my girl to ride into the ceremony on one of my horses but she laughed me right outta the room with that one. She's doing most of the planning herself, as well. Now that the dress is handled, I'm off the hook on obligations. At least, for a little while. :))

sweetbay said...

Congrats on finding The Dress, how exciting!

Wendy said...

good for you! What a spectacular trip - you're an awesome mom. :)

Melospiza said...

I can't wait to see it (eventually). And your trip sounds fantastic, a New York trip in all the best ways.

GRACE PETERSON said...

I love your post. The photos of NYC are amazing and I'm so glad you found a dress for your Peanut. (We call our youngest daughter Bear for many of the same reasons.) When I became a mom, I vowed to do things differently too since my upbringing totally sucked. It feels good, doesn't it? I keep telling my (now grown) kids that it's a good thing we're not rich or I'd completely ruin them by buying them things constantly. :) (Never seen the reality show you mention. I avoid them like the plague. LOL)

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Thanks, Sweetbay!

That last big stress item scratched off the to-do list! :D

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Aw, Wendy...

That's so sweet of you to say. Thanks. You made my day!

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, Melospiza;
It's always nice to get out of town. As you well know. I imagine we're goth dealing with late season snows right when we want it to be garden season...

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

I'm with you, Grace;

I was a little embarrassed to admit to the people at Kleinfeld's that I'd never seen their show. But, whatever. I can't stand those reality shows... :)) And, yes. It's very nice to remedy situations that weren't so hot when we were growing up.

Snowcatcher said...

Finding THE DRESS at half the price of the competition... the only thing better is seeing so many crocuses in the big city!!! You're going have quite the following by the time this wedding rolls around, just in the way you present!

Anonymous said...

Dies an diesem Punkt ist einer der besten weiters schnellsten poker prämie öcken umsonst angebote inoffizieller Mitarbeiter internet hole dir jetzig deinen zum Nulltarif poker mammon[url=http://poker-geld-ohne-einzahlung.info/] GRATIS POKER GELD[/url]