Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Time to Enjoy The Best of This and That

The 1st of the Christmas Amaryllis bulbs makes an early showing.

My new found friend, Healthy Gardener, gifted me with the 'Best Blog Award' and invited me to pass this along to 15 favorite blogs I've recently discovered.

I met Gloria through Blotanical, purely by searching for South Dakota bloggers ~ because that's where I was born and raised. And, while I wholeheartedly agree we can bloom wherever we are planted, there's also a deep connection with people who's roots are wiggling around in the same familiar mud as you.

The 2nd of the Christmas Cactus gals joins in the fun.

It got me thinking about Thanksgiving ~ I always give thanks for the usual important stuff. This year I'm also giving thanks for one strange thing that needs a bit of clarification: TIME!

The whole concept of having 'enough time' is foreign to me. I work full time, I have a demanding volunteer second job, an all-consuming 'full time' passion toward gardening... then there's the horses... squeeze family into that mess and, well, you get the picture.

This 3 year old unpredictable Poinsettia has taken her usual stance toward the holidays: Undecided. Sporting half red leaves, half green leaves ~ she has 1 month to get with the program.

I've never had a moment to spare. Until now.

This year, life is suddenly manageable. For the first time since I became addicted to blogging way back in 2006, I can take leisurely strolls around the blogosphere, meeting new people and learning all sorts of new things. Because, this year, thankfully, I have some free time!

* This list is in no particular order ~ except for the first one because it's pretty dang cool to have a concert pianist as a friend...
  • To the Minnesota Gardener who took a deep breath and a leap of faith and put it out there... filming herself performing a Schumann Sonata.
  • To the savvy silly sisters, Just-a-Mere and Iron Needles, who get me laughing on the best and worst of days.
  • To the Empress of Dirt for her neat perspective on pretty much everything.
  • To A Corner Garden who's cozy posts and cute dog, Heidi, always entertain.
  • To The Village Voice who's yummy recipes have bailed me out of more than one sticky wicket.
  • To the Totally Inept Balcony Gardener who is anything but.
  • To the Sunflower Ranch who's Writer Challenges keep me on my toes.
  • To Gardening with Grace who just so happens to live in Oregon, my favorite spot in the universe. Bonus! We both love Clematis flowering vines.
  • To the Backyard Farm who not only has cute chickens, she grows as much of her own food as possible.
  • To Flower Hill Farm for lovely photography and interesting stories, whenever I need an escape.
  • To the Shady Gardener because I have no shade so she teaches me a thing or two.
  • To Flowers and Weeds for her fun tutorials and highly entertaining new garden project.
  • To the Witless Wanderer who hasn't lifted a finger on her blog in oh so long but I know why... she's writing a novel!
  • And, last but definitely not least, to the Darling of the Dahlia Society, Karen, who's fine eye for flowers and fur is a joy to behold.
THE FINE PRINT:
If you want to participate, please grab this award and then pay it forward to 15 of your favorite recent blog discoveries. If you don't want to participate, please don't feel any pressure to do so.

Please note ~ this award asks that I highlight 15 blogs. There are many more I wanted to list. Some I didn't list because you already have the award. Some I didn't list because I know how popular you are and you'll no doubt get the award from someone else! Some of you don't want the awards! And so it goes...

19 comments:

thismngardener said...

Hi Kate-
Goodness! Thanks!
And how is it...that you have time? Well-I am glad that you do!!
Love-

Noelle Johnson said...

Hello Kate,

Congratulations on the award!

I love your Christmas plants. It is getting close!

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

You're welcome Jane!

Thx, AZ - You were on my list but then I saw you already had the award so I decided to spread the love elsewhere. :)

~~ Melissa said...

Congrats and thank you! I'm looking forward to cruising the blogs you awarded.

PS: It's okay to do crunches tonight too. :-D

Anonymous said...

Katie~~ Oregon really is a wonderful place to live. I'm very lucky. If ever you get out this way, give a holler. Thank you for the ultra kind words. There's got to be a clematis you can grow in your climate. There's just got to be!!

KC said...

Thanks Kate; for the award and the kind words. You made my day! I don't know why my blog doesn't update but thanks for the birthday wishes to Rusty :)

Cynthia Oakes said...

I follow exactly 6 blogs. Yours is one. You deserve all the award you receive. Congrats, Kate! From a near neighbor in Hyrum.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Thanks, Cynthia, and Welcome!

I'll get to work on a fun name for the Hyrum property :))

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate - Thank you for the kind words and you did a fantastic job sharing the Best Blog Award - Gloria

Chloe m said...

Congrats, Kate! Beautiful Amarylis! Mine just started, it is a slow poke. My daughter has started talking to it for an experiement to see if it will get it's bloom in gear.
Rosey

joey said...

Thank you dear Kate, I'm deeply touched and honored by the award. I would not even know where to begin to share this since I've been touched by so many, including you, who richly deserves this. I am very thankful to have met and so enjoyed our connection. Happy Thanksgiving! (your top red amaryllis photo is a knock-out)

jan said...

Gosh! Thanks for the award! I haven't won an award since field day in grade school! (I think I still have that ribbon, though...) I will certainly pay the love forward!

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

It's been great connecting with you, too, Joey!

And, you Gloria...

And, you, as well, AZPlant friend! :)

Rosey - you, of course, were on my list but since your great blog is so very popular I knew you'd be awarded this by many other followers. You are also one of the best in my humble opinion...

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all. :)

Sunflower Ranch said...

Kate!! thank you so much for your thoughtfulness and the beautiful award!!! You are so sweet!! :D

May you and your family have a blessed Thanksgiving!

And thank you again for the award!!
:D

Carol said...

Hi Kate,

Thanks so for honoring me! You are very dear and I am so glad to hear that you escape to Flower Hill! I am so happy to have found your blog ... Great Photos! I love your horses!!! What beauties. Have a lovely holiday with your loved ones. Thanks again for thinking of me! Carol

Shady Gardener said...

Kate, First of all - Congratulations on receiving this award and also for being able to have the time it takes to post your posts and photos (which are always enjoyable!)

Secondly, I am honored that you've chosen me as one of your recipients. Honored? More likely, Astonished! ha. Thank you. Hopefully you'll find more to enjoy about the shade as time goes on. ;-)

Iron Needles said...

Thanks, Kate! I passed the love along today!

Unknown said...

Ohhh nice amaryllis! One of mine is pushing up a nice fat bud, the other three are trailing along behind it.
Glad you have enough time to enjoy things these days!

pdxlisa said...

Hi Kate,

Thanks so much for mentioning my blog on yours. I LOVE your gardening blog and the cooking too. But the flowers are gorgeous and your blog looks great. I'll be following.

Have a festive holiday season.

Lisa