Wednesday, January 05, 2011

'As I Lay Dying'

Two things have always perplexed me about exercise classes:
1) Why we even bother.
2) Why we suffer in silence.

I started my new workout routine this week and I seem to be the only one crying out from the back of the room: Hellooo, I'm dyin' here!!!

Admittedly, it was a long, busy holiday but as I was passing out drinks this morning, I noticed my poor houseplants have been screaming the same dang thing. Rest assured, I'll show more compassion than the perky little brat teaching my body sculpt [as if that is even possible] class.

In 3 short weeks, I hop a plane. Off on an adventure that's been on the 'wanna do' list for quite some time. When I get there, I'll be meeting up with Little Miss Never Gains a Pound. Or, should I say Missus (nearly newlyweds!)

Oh, how I have missed our coffee chats. She is one of my dearest friends. Though I will confess that after a 60 minute torture session with weights and bands and God only knows what's next on this workout agenda -- all in a grand effort not to slow her down once I arrive -- I started wondering... Just how hard would it be to make some lazy friends?

Now, this, of course, is all in jest. She's a wonderful person. But, I'll bet less active people (preferably ones who still know how to make homemade donuts) are wonderful people, too.

Thought for the Day.... If dry furnace air is making your skin feel all itchy and miserable, your houseplants might be unhappy, too. Plus, they're probably freezing their little tails off if they're sitting on a cold windowsill when you turn the heat down at night.

Unhappy House Plant Warning Signs:
  • Yellow leaves - Too much light, fertilizer or water.
  • Yellow spots - Dripping water onto the leaves. (Water from below.)
  • Brown leaves - Not enough water.
  • Dry leaves - Lack of humidity.
  • All of the above - R.I.P.
Tips:
  • The darker green the leaf, the less light a plant generally needs.
  • Most indoor flowering plants do better in cooler temperatures.

* As I Lay Dying is a brilliant novel of human suffering, written by William Faulkner.

29 comments:

Christine B. said...

But what do I do when my houseplant has lost all its leaves? My formerly leafy plant now resembles a saguaro cactus. Could it be the 10 degree weather I exposed it to a couple of weeks ago whilst moving? When it comes to indoor gardening, I seem overly blessed with a brown thumb!

As for exercising, does standing on a ladder with a paint roller in hand count?

Christine in Alaska, donuts and dead plants

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Dearest Christine.... did I hear you speak the magic word? Donuts? :)

Carol said...

Dear Kate, What a fun spirit you are! I love your wit! I hope you find some lazy friends but I cannot believe you truly would want to be a couch potato . . . not with beautiful feisty horses as land mates. I confess to being terrible with my prisoner plants. Each spring they sigh deeply . . . that they made it though another winter with me . . . with joy to be put outdoors again. Enjoy your donuts and coffee! ;>))

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Aw, thx, Carol;

Oh, you're probably right. Although couch potato status sounds mighty appealing today...

PS: I LOVED your pretty photos yesterday.

Melanie J Watts said...

Awe kate good for you for making good on your exercise plans ;) Donuts and coffee and a good chat with a friend sound good to me too.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Happy New Year, Melanie!

Hope you're staying warm in the tundra...

joey said...

Loved the laugh and smart tips for the New Year! We (friends/plants) are all struggling :)

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

HNY, Joey;
I'm excited to try your latest recipe!

Laurrie said...

A chuckle like this on a winter day does more good than an arduous trip to the gym... thanks for pepping me up today. I hope your patiently suffering plants appreciate your humor!

Unknown said...

Wonderful post...full of humour and good advice, too. Ijust wrote a post on phalaenopsis orchids but it's not funny like yours! Hope your exercise routine goes brilliantly, Kate, and that you stop ouching...

Anonymous said...

Kate, I hope you enjoy your trip in three weeks. That's movtivation to workout. It's so hard to get the body moving in winter, isn't it? Thanks for the indoor houseplant tips!

Susan in the Pink Hat said...

Lazy with donuts? I'm here for you.

jan said...

Nothing like a world adventure to get us motivated, eh? I hope the aches diminish quickly! (Hope you are out of the deep freeze soon!)

sweetbay said...

Ooo, reading 1 William Faulkner novel was enough suffering for me -- it was Light in August. I still remember it, 25 years later.

Someone told me once that she didn't see why people ran for exercise, it was just extra agony. lol

Donuts...

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

I hear ya, Laurrie;

Cold weather + grey skies do not make for a cheerful combination.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, Jodi;
Oh, I'll definitely have to pay you a visit. I have quite a passion for Moth Orchids....

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

HNY Ramona and Susan, fellow Utah gardeners...

We need to talk! Who's going to Seattle for the blogger fling? Road trip! :D

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Good to see you in the blogosphere, Jan!

And quite relieved to hear that you didn't float away during the Vegas rainstorms! Speaking of road trips. Vegas. Hey!

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

It is, agony, Sweetbay.

That friend of yours is a smart cookie.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Note to Anonymous;

I didn't post your comment but I would like to apologize. Struggling with weight issues is no laughing matter and I am sincerely sorry if my joking around caused hurt feelings. I'm of the mindset that life is a less bitter pill when we find a way to make light of our problems.

troutbirder said...

The wit and wisdom of Kate. I'm learning to love it. Now as to winter exercise, I do spring, summer and fall outside. Here in the North Country sensible people either hibernate or find an easy chair and curl up with a good book. :)

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Very sweet of you to say, Troutbirder. :)

And, I'm lovin' the idea of a hibernating with a good book...

Rose said...

I don't have to worry about either of these problems, Kate: I don't keep houseplants, and I never sign up for one of those exercise classes that promises to keep you moving and sweating:) Instead, I take Tai Chi, taught by a woman in her mid-70's. But, seriously, good for you for joining up! I really, really want to go to Europe next year, and I'm wondering how I can ever walk all day seeing the sights if I don't get in shape first.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Good for you, Rose;

That's where I'm heading, Bressanone, IT, to be exact. In the Italian Alps, and I'm a little nervous about the skiing. Which is why I'm madly trying to whip ye olde bod back into shape.

Wendy said...

these are great tips (and humorous ones too!).

Good for you for busting your butt out there! :)

Faythe said...

Hi Kate! you still have some blooms indoors? I have a peace plant that has a bunch of flowers every couple months or so, but it is not a color plant or flower :( your violet looks lovely, I haven't had one in years. my gran was the champ at growing them & making babies with them ;)
I am with you in spirit in the exercise... I need it, but I am a lazy butt! maybe that is why it is so wide?
Always great to hear from you! enjoy your vacation & thanks for the reminder that I need to stop over more often ;) hugs, Faythe @GMT~

Anonymous said...

Kate, I got your message about the Blog conference. Email me with more details. I would love to know. Have you ever attended one? Your fellow Utah blogger.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, Faythe!
Bright bloomers keep me sane during our long, cold winters and the violets are a favorite. Mostly because they're easy. :) They sit on the kitchen window sill and happily do their stuff without much attention from moi...

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, Ramona!
I've never been to a blogger fling but the fact that this one is in Seattle is exciting. Would be such a great opportunity to put names to faces...