Saturday, January 13, 2007

Bigger They Are, Harder They Fall

If a tree falls in the woods and no one's around, does it make a noise?

Darned if I know. But, I can tell you when a tree falls in the house it makes a horrible crash. Kind of like someone breaking in... Which is why I cowered under the bed covers for a good half hour, hoping my dog would bite the burglar and I could live to garden another day.

Uncle Henry is an African Milk Tree, one of the largest, most easy growing plants you can have indoors. In a sunny window, with weekly watering, Milk Trees will grow to enormous heights. Henry was about 14 feet tall and very top heavy so it's no surprise he decided to take a dive.

All is not lost. Milk Trees are incredibly easy to propagate. Make a clean cut on his tall branches. Place these cuttings directly into the soil and fertilize regularly for the first month. (Diluted 10-10-10 is best.)

No comments: