Monday, February 16, 2009

Sprouts!

Painted Daisy ~ the first of my seedling army has sprouted!

From the indoors, looking out, it's a pretty day. Particularly if you're hard of hearing.

Bright blue skies... intense sunshine.

I've squeezed about 100 seedlings into the big, bay window. Each morning, I see a new green sprout peeking out of the soil.

The sunshine had me dreaming up all sorts of adventures for this [day off!] President's Day. That is, until I heard the loud roar of the wind.

Followed by the windows rattling. A thumping sound. Something is banging against the side of the house...? That can't be good.

1 lonely Tomato and 99 flowering perennials. Give or take a few dozen that will more than likely croak. Fingers crossed it's not my tomater.

If my little seedlings make it until planting season, hooray. I'll have a brand new garden.

If they don't, that's okay, too. Because they accomplished their primary goal ~ warding off cabin fever.

Thanks to plentiful storms, February can be a volatile month. So, it's kind of fun to dig in the dirt and plan for warmer days.

Upcycle! Leftover drink cups from the 4th of July party make great seedling containers, providing the depth seeds need for long, strong roots.


There's no real digging in the dirt going on here but then you already knew that, didn't you? Peat, perlite and vermiculite make a nice, loose soil-less soil that holds more oxygen, retains more water and has more nutrients than the stuff in your backyard. I like Jiffy seed mix but I DO NOT like Jiffy Peat Pots. They're too small and the mesh wrappers don't naturally break down in the soil.

* Here's a pretty good reason why I hate wind.

1 comment:

Gail said...

I could not wait either, have lettuce, spinach, tomatoes (6), calundula, lemon balm and ech. up.

Come on spring....oh it hit 60 today, for about an hour, then the clouds came over again.