Thursday, February 09, 2023

The Story of the Vortex

Flowers! Outdoors! Oh yay! We've finally driven far enough south for it to feel like spring. 

What do you mean this Airbnb is $1,000 a night? It was $125 bucks a night when I last looked! 

It's the Super Bowl! Everybody is coming to Phoenix the weekend you want to be here! What???

Not being a football enthusiast - and even less so after I saw how the Super Bowl was destroying my travel budget - by inflating the rental prices in Phoenix...  

We took another detour on our Let's Go South to Warm Up impromptu vacation. 

Headed to Sedona. 

Vortex areas in and around Sedona are said to bring about self-awareness and spiritual healing. 

Native Americans believe that a spiritual transformation occurs more easily in Sedona because the veils to other dimensions are more translucent and accessible. 

Found the perfect place. A room with a fabulous view.

I had a 'spiritual transformation' the moment I pulled into town. No snow + the first glimpse of some outdoor flowers. In case you're wondering... I live in a ski resort and we've had 300 inches of snow during this insane winter. I love snow. But I also love leaving it far behind.

I've visited Sedona 14 times ~ and yet I've never spent any time, at all, in Sedona.

Not just a view. A view and a fireplace. Which helped with the disappointment. Because it was freezing here, too.

We used to travel to Sedona every spring. 

Brought our horses to the Caballos del Sol ride, where we could forget about the mountains of snow back home ~ while trotting through those breathtaking red rock canyons. 


When your travel buddy weighs 1,400 pounds (I love saying that because it instantly lets me off the hook when I think I should go on a diet) you're not allowed the luxury of leaving the horses behind, driving into Sedona, and doing the one thing I always wanted to do there. 

Shop. The stores are amazing and I'm pretty sure I could find all kinds of things I don't need. Like this! ↓↓ 

I have absolutely no use for this. But it's turquoise! 

Sedona is speckled with vortex areas - each radiating its own particular energy. 

The vortex, in downtown Sedona, is incredibly powerful. You feel yourself pulling your credit card out of your purse. Oftentimes you have no idea why. 

The excitement over 'no snow' lasted all of one day.

The True Story of The Vortex

Do you believe in magic? Divine intervention? "Woo-woo" experiences? Yeah, me neither. 

√ Although I thought it was rather magical that I managed to score a place to stay in Sedona, at the last minute, with a stunning view and a fireplace!

Science plays a huge role in how we view the universe. Yet. There are times when I wonder if we behave cautiously - claim certain oddities couldn't possibly be true - because we don't want to embarrass ourselves by admitting we believe. Subjecting ourselves to ridicule because of our beliefs. And also because lots of really cool things are downright impossible to prove. 

Or. Are they?

Sedona really does feel as if it's 'alive' with a special type of energy.

A long time ago, I visited Sedona with the gal who would ultimately become my freelance business partner. We had argued for almost a year on how to make this work. Young and strong and very fit at the time, we hiked to the top of Cathedral Rock. 

* I would not recommend this. Go shopping. That's loads more fun.

At the top, we rested, dangling our legs over the ledge, talking about The Freelance Business. The one we couldn't agree on. The problem-solving ideas flowed out of us, like water from a teapot. In the span of 30 minutes, we solved all the major roadblocks. And we have not swayed from that business plan in 25 years.

When we got back to town, we had drinks in a local bar. Still in awe that we figured this all out so easily, we mentioned this to some of the locals. They nodded their heads, saying: Oh, yes, clarity of thought. That's a big one up there. 

So, yeah, I don't know. Maybe that's all the proof we need. Strange, magical things happen all the time. Becoming a freelancer vastly improved my life. Allowed me to retire early. If we can credit a big, red rock for that clarity, I'm perfectly happy to do so!


No comments: