Sunday, June 04, 2023

Let's Take a Walk

Pear Trees

Spring has finally arrived in the mountains. Not completely, the furnace is still on. And those April showers - that can't seem to figure out it's June, now, - are still foiling our plans to truly take a walk...

But it is most definitely springtime. My trees told me so.

Spring - it is such a lovely time of the year. I often wonder why we make our resolutions on New Years. When it's cold and snowy and the most creative thing we can come up with is maybe joining a health club or going on a diet. 

They bud pink; they flower blue, I don't know who they are but this Lilac is my favorite.

It's these beautiful Spring days, this rebirth and renewal change of season, that inspires me to pop a bottle of champagne and celebrate. When the gardens begin to bloom once again. And we see how all our flowering friends survived.

Plus. The second the snow melts you're working like a fiend out in those gardens. Who needs a Peloton bike when you've got that going on?

There's a 'super bloom' happening in the horse pasture. Meadow Phlox is so dainty, it's hard to photograph the drifts of petal pink, so here's a close up.

This wildflower might be called a Biscuitroot - not sure. I don't plant wildflowers back there. 

Sable does! 

You're not supposed to pick wildflowers but the horse doesn't know that. She eats the flowers, and later, deposits seeds back into the pasture, creating her own, magnificent, garden.

We have a lot of short-sighted new residents in Park City, now, who complain that horses 'poop' on the trails. But your dog poops on the trails and nothing good ever comes from that. Horses are vegetarians. As are deer and elk and moose. Our stunning wildflower trails do not come from you and your destructive mountain bike. We can thank the vegetarians and the birds for this glorious show. It might be nice if you people would shut up about that.

Okay. Fine. I'll stop complaining about my new neighbors. Let's keep walking through the gardens...

Golden Currants attract tons of songbirds. Makes a wonderful chutney.

No animals are attracted to Cushion Spurge, [which is kind of why I plant it!] These happy yellow blossoms are some of the first flowers to bloom every spring.

The Bridal Veil is just getting started.

The Newport Plum is almost done.

High winds are making short work of the Crabby Apple trees. It's sort of 'snowing' white petals this afternoon.

Perhaps my insanely alkaline soil is the reason my dark purple Allium has evolved into precious pink beauties.

Bleeding Hearts have no business blooming this early but who am I to complain? 

Did you know Bleeding Hearts can handle -40(F) degrees? Zone 3. I'm zone 6 - they're very happy we don't live in Alaska. 

The scent of various Lilacs waft through the open window. That lovely fragrance is really the only saving grace with these daily afternoon rains. I mean. If you have to rain every day. Couldn't you do that at night while we're sleeping?

Anyhoo. That's what's blooming in my neck of the woods. Now isn't this 'walking exercise' a whole lot more fun than a treadmill at the gym? No need to thank me. 😊

3 comments:

Mary A said...

Thanks for the encouragement. Been feeling overwhelmed with my new yard. Found your site when looking for moonflowers.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Moonflowers are a wonderful choice! They love sun and consistent watering. I get discouraged, too, but you'll be delighted once they bloom.

ProfessorRoush said...

So odd to think of Spring when it's almost summer here and daylilies are beginning to bloom! But it's nice to see lilacs again, since mine are now 10 months away once more!