Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Sweet Autumn Clematis

If I owned a garden shop, I'd time all deliveries for Monday afternoons.

Seeing as how Mondays are almost always the most annoying day of the work week, a happy little package with the words 'Live Plants!' printed on the box is guaranteed to be the highlight.

It certainly was for me... My very own Sweet Autumn Clematis arrived yesterday afternoon.

I discovered her at my seed collecting class. I walked around the corner and this jumbled mass of white, star-shaped flowers stopped me dead in my tracks.

So I waited and I waited... and then I waited some more... Hoping for the perfect photo opportunity.

I finally gave up on the idea that the people who had discovered the pretty bench nestled inside this magical arch of flowers would ever leave. So, you'll just have to take my word for it.

Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of white but this is the most delicious flowering vine I've ever met!

Thousands and thousands of dainty little blooms adorn this 30-foot climber.

Oh, that's our Jack in the Bean Stalk,* says the instructor.

Sweet Autumn Clematis (USDA zones 5-9) blooms after most Clematis flowering vines are done for the season.

Bonus: It can grow 20 feet in a single season. I can't hardly wait....

1 comment:

Wunx~ said...

One of my absolute favorites -- and I like the seed heads almost better than the flowers.