Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Freesia

Freesia ~ November
My Flowering Plant of the Month

I've been so busy complaining about being busy that I almost forgot to mention the latest and greatest addition to the sunny window.

Each month, I purchase a flowering plant at the local supermarket when I'm buying groceries. As much as I love cut flowers, I never buy them for myself. Mostly because I'm cheap and cut flowers don't last very long. Potted flowering plants will generally bloom for a whole month. If you're nice to them, they just might bloom again.

Freesia is a delicate flowering plant with a lightly, sweet citrus fragrance. Perfect for a kitchen window. Keep the soil moist and add a dash of 5-10-10 fertilizer for longest blooms. If you're lucky enough to live in USDA zones 9 or 10, you can transplant her into the garden when she's done blooming.

* A member of the Iris family. Lots of beautiful colors to choose from.

October Plant of the Month: Kalanchoe

No comments: