Saturday, November 03, 2007

Breakfast & Roses


There's this freebie going around the internet called Share Senseo. Senseo is a new-fashioned, single-serve coffee pot that allegedly brews one perfect cup at a time. You can win one if you answer their survey questions correctly. Back when I had a real job, I worked in market research so I know exactly how to answer such questions. (Yes, I know that's cheating but I'm desperate. My old coffee pot is ready to kick the bucket!)

So, I 'won.' They sent me a coffee pot but it's far too noisy first thing in the morning and the coffee doesn't taste so good.

However! My roses are once again thrilled by my mistakes.
I'm growing micro mini roses in my window and container roses need lots of fertilizer in order to bloom well.

Egg shells and coffee grounds are the perfect combo.
  • Egg shells are about 90% calcium carbonate - this is what's in the bag of lime you purchase every few years and sprinkle around the garden.
  • Plants suck quite a bit of calcium from the soil. Calcium needs to be replenished, so this is a great way to get rid of your egg shells.
Coffee grounds have all sorts of goodies that equate to the acid fertilizers available for purchase. My baby roses are blooming up a storm and I'm not spending a dime.

Try your luck at winning a coffee pot here. Or, send me your address and I'll send you mine!

* Micromini roses are cute perennials for a high altitude garden. Many are USDA zone 5. I'm growing some indoors because it's winter, now, and I want to see if they will survive.

1 comment:

Granny J said...

Living on a hillside with decayed granite as soil, I only grow wild things in the earth. Fancy plants go in pots, so aside from a wild Arizona rose I grew from seed, my roses are those pretty little things that you get at the grocery store. They do fine in my pots for a number of years.