Thursday, March 13, 2008

Perky Primroses

'Tis time, once again, to murder the Primroses.

Come on, admit it: you've killed 'em, I've killed 'em, we've all killed 'em.

Perky little Primroses are so misunderstood. Each spring, we walk into the stores and there we are greeted by a bright display of these bitsy baby flowering potted plants.

Who can resist such cheery little blossoms?

So, we bring them home, put them in a sunny window and... watch 'em curl up and die.

Primroses can't take the heat. They're winter-hardy, zone 3 perennials who would love you to death if you'd just plant them outdoors in a semi-shady spot.

They happily bloom, in early spring, at the same time as your Daffodils.

4 comments:

Melanie Chopay said...

I can never resist these primroses but I've also had some luck in having them return in the garden. Some colors seem to be better than others.

Wunx~ said...

How true, how true, how sadly true. That pretty rosebud looking primrose you made me buy a month ago is looking pretty sad. I'm planning to plant it behind the house now that the majority of the snow is gone.

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Right on the spot, it's all true! I'm a killer too.

Iron Needles said...

Guilty as charged! I have one that greeted me, all wilted on my kitchen table, this am. Hopefully she just dried out, and will recover! I will find a cooler corner in the basement under the grow light until she can go outside.