Sunday, October 19, 2008

Handling the Heebie Jeebies

Hot Travel Tip: It's really cheap to visit Florida during hurricane season!
Weary of Wall Street shenanigans, we decided to get out of town for my birthday. (I'm 39! Again!)
We flew to sunny Florida, where everyone is rich and retired. Surely they won't be bitching about the economy...
Wrong. These days there's no escaping discussions of money & politics. Though (surprise!) global financial collapse seems to be that proverbial straw that has some people rethinking their Republican ways.
As we sat there talking politics (I wasn't talking politics; I was too busy drinking all their wine,) I kept hearing these words: common purpose, common good. Better for the country as a whole...

Wow. Maybe, just maybe, I'll be on the winning team this year.
Why so political?
I came home to lots of emails from people asking me who I'm voting for. Like they really thought I'd vote for Palin simply because she's a woman. She kind of looks like Bush in drag to me.

I don't care about gender. I don't care about race. I'm for animals and clean energy and living within our means. I am voting for Obama. So now you know.

You might also want to know that I was a Republican for many, many years. Back when they cared about the environment.

We spotted this big gal resting near the sidewalk as we were walking home from a fun day at the beach.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can't blame Bush for everything.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous and scary pics! Now there is another place I want to go. KC, another Obama girl

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

I don't. I blame Cheney, too!

Anonymous said...

The environment was why I stopped voting Republican 16 years ago too.

PS yes YOU CAN BLAME BUSH FOR THIS CRAP OF A MESS WE ARE IN!!!!!IF AL GORE HAD BEEN PREZ WE WOULDNT BE IN IRAQ RIGHT NOW!!! And the massive Federal deposits are the direct result of that war.

Iron Needles said...

Happy Happy 39th (again) Birthday to you, Kate!

P.S. I am going to sprinkle hollyhock seeds tonight after work!

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Thanks, Iron! I hope the hollyhocks grow beautifully for you!

Wunx~ said...

Very pretty flowers. Did you invite the gator to come home with you? He might discourage the mooses from munching on your bushes.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Wunx that's a good idea. Though alligators might get kind of cranky on cold, mountain nights. Would you be so kind as to knit her a sweater? :D

sasha said...

Hi Kit,

Fun FLA photos, I especially like the sunset one and the shell one. However, it may be angerous to mix politics and gardening.
Sandy

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

I suppose you're right but it's kind of fun to stir things up once in awhile. :D

Anonymous said...

You're an idiot.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

In some instances, I wholeheartedly agree. Though, not on politics.