Sunday, September 20, 2009

Kit Cats & Migrating Monarchs

Met this impressive Monarch Butterfly in Hazel's Zinnia Garden. Her wing span was enormous.

Migrating Monarch Butterfly snacking on the Zinnias

Ten days ago I filled my car with the tools of the trade, squeezed Bad Dog into the passengers seat and off we went on my first ever working vacation.

'Been a long time coming... But, some silly fool [that would be my brother] finally agreed to PAY ME to do a landscaping project!

It's a 2 day, hellishly dull drive to my hometown of Wide Spot In The Road, South Dakota.

Lucky for me, I have a good friend who lives half way between Here and No Where.

I just love to visit her gardens because she grows a lot of annuals ~ gorgeous, true blue Morning Glories...

And an all time favorite: Zinnias!

Bright, happy colors, easily grown by seed in a summer garden. Why don't I do this??? Next year... maybe next year.

When you stroll Hazel's gardens you're stalked by the most precious of predators.

They look a little worried because big old Bad Dog is standing right behind me and my camera. BD is scared of kitties though it took them a few minutes to figure that out.

Messy birds planted this Sunflower Garden that stretches 10 feet into the sky. (Can you spot the half moon peering down upon us?)

Zinnias make a delightful dinner for migrating Butterflies.

Last but not least. Meet Cookie. Isn't she the cutest little thing you've ever seen?

9 comments:

KC said...

What a beautiful Monarch and the kitties are so darling. Hope the project is going well.

Anonymous said...

Morning glories, zinnias and kittens--all favorites of mine! Great pictures Kate :)

Chloe m said...

My goodness, those zinnias are pretty and the kitties are super-cute! Thanks for the smile. Good luck with the landscaping job.
Rosey

Iron Needles said...

Did you pack one of those kitties up to bring home? If not, how did you resist?

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

KC, Rosey - Project not going so well. I got fired. Sort of. Part of the foundation is in trouble so now he's putting the joint up for sale.

I did manage to steal a number of great perennials though...! :))

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Jeannie - I do believe those are my 3 favorite things, too. I HAVE TO grow a Zinnia garden next year. They are so pretty...

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Iron - I was thinking long and hard about tucking Cookie the kitty into my pocket and making a fast getaway. :D

zak davis said...

well i think all those flowerz are gorguos and i love the superrrrrrr-cuteeeeeee-kittenssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

zak davis said...

i love the variety of flowers and cute cute cute cute
kittttttteeeeeeeeeennnnnnsssssss