Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Blue Skies and Good Lessons

I love the brilliant blue of our Wasatch Mountain skies.

The pesky snow I whined about last week has all but melted away. Trees have donned their party dresses and we find ourselves lazily basking in the warmth of a second summer.

Did you know that the Golden Delicious apple tree variety
is a pollinator for all apple trees?

I didn't either!


In my garden grows Gala, Fireside and Honey Crisp ~ simply because these were the beauties I knew from my old life in Minnesota. Apparently, if I plant one Golden Delicious as a pollinator I'll have apples coming out my ears. Rather the horse's ears. They are terrible at sharing this bounty.

Day Two of Reprogramming Bella:
Infinitely better than day one! We're doing groundwork in an arena, where I stand in the center and guide her with my hand to walk, trot and canter. She runs free ~ no saddle, bridle or anything to freak her out. I say 'we' because I realized after Day One that I'm in over my head and solicited the help of my friend, Janet (horse woman extraordinaire.)

As silly as it may sound, I love this horse because she reminds me of me. Overly-sensitive, easily scared, unwilling to admit to either weakness. There's just something in her, something broken I desperately want to fix. I don't know that I can. But I do need to give it a try.

* For NaBloPoMo I committed to blog every day during November about my adopted horse, Bella. It's doubtful I'll make it through a full month o' bloggin' but I'll wrestle with Bella for an eternity.

8 comments:

OmegaMom said...

Bella is beautiful! So are those limpid blue skies...sigh. I'm jealous!

jan said...

You could just post a photo every day of that beautiful horse!

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Thanks, O. I've already run out of steam with the NaBloPoMo idea you introduced me to...

However!

I think Jan may have solved my problem. :)

Chloe m said...

Come on Kate, You can do it! It is only day five!
I whined about the snow as well, and most of it is gone now. Back to the Indian summer we were deprived of. :0
Rosey

Iron Needles said...

What Jan said! That is a great photo, all action-y and everything.

(Noticed this am I have buds on a 'holiday' cactus. Just in time for Thanksgiving!)

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Yay! I have a cheering section. I'm gonna need one. ;-)

thismngardener said...

Hi Kate! I am reading these posts backward, because I am so far behind!!
But your comment about "she's a lot like me" resonated with me personally. I have that-fear, oversensitivity. Oh well-at least we know what it is.
I did NaBloPoMo 2 years ago-it was pretty fun!
Love-Jane

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, Jane!
How nice to see you on my blog. It's been ages. (I mean ages since you posted anything on your blog, you slacker. :)

Just teasing.

I owe you a phone call. I need your expertise on a new get rich quick scheme...