Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Tuna Haters To Die For Tuna Marinade

Hazel's Zinnias

On Tuesdays, we round up the usual suspects and cook a special dinner. It's not easy. There's the 2 teenagers who prefer every meal be mac 'n cheese. There's a happy little carnivore who thinks bacon in mac 'n cheese might be dee-lish.

And, then there's the pescatarians. Fish lovers.

I hate fish. Truly, madly, deeply hate fish. Now I know what you're thinking... certainly not salmon. Everybody loves salmon.

Indeed they do! I can't begin to count the number of times people have invited me to dinner naturally assuming I would eat salmon.

More of Hazel's Zinnias

'Twas salmon that inspired me to manifest my hatred of fish into a life threatening allergy. You see, if I tell people I don't like fish then they'll still expect me to eat it. "Oh, give it a try," they exclaim. "You'll love MY fish."

But, if I tell them I have an allergy...

I will surely die if I eat your fish...

Then they're lots nicer about the whole situation and typically cook up something truly palatable. Like a steak!

This charade worked out well for many years. Right up until my daughter decided to become a [cringe, shudder] pescatarian. Because she knows the truth about me and my fish allergies. She knows I'm a big, fat liar.

Happy Little Butterflies on Hazel's Zinnias

Last night, just to be nice to Lauren, I grilled tuna. I also made a big vat of potatoes and a (from scratch!) chocolate cake so normal people, like me, wouldn't starve. But then something strange happened. It smelled so delicious that I took a little bite. And, it's killing me to admit this but it wasn't half bad...

Tuna Haters To Die For Tuna Marinade:
  • 1 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 cup lime juice
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire
  • 1/4 cup minced roasted garlic
  • 4 tbs. crushed rosemary
Marinate 6 oz. tuna fillets for a couple of hours in this mixture. Grill fillets on very high heat, basting with the marinade. Then feed them to Bad Dog and go buy yourself a cheeseburger.

* Joking about the dog. This is a truly tasty recipe. If I like it, I imagine anyone would. I feel the same way about Hazel's Zinnias.

20 comments:

KC said...

Yum, that sounds delicious. I'm a devout Iwilleatmostanythingatarian so that will work out great for me. Pretty flowers too! Are they really Hazel's? Just kiddin' you a bit.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Yup - they're ALL Hazel's. That gal does the best job on Zinnias of any gardener I've ever met. :D

Lona said...

What pretty zinnia's Kate. They look so pretty against your green background. I love the things and try to grow them ever years but they will not grow for me. I think this winter I will start some indoors for Spring maybe they will grow then. We have the nastiest clay soil. Good for bricks but not flowers.
Not like fish! I am only kidding. I cannot eat anything that has spicy stuff in it. So no Mexican or other spicy foods to my families awe.They love it all ;-)
By the way the bird in my header was a female cardinal. I had to give her a lot of sunflower seeds for that picture ;-)

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Hi Kate,
For some reason I subscribed to the comments on October's GBBD, so I saw your question to Carol about whether indoor flowers count. Yes, they do.

I enjoyed reading your posts here. I have enough trouble getting our dog to behave, I don't think I could handle a horse. I guess I'm not a big horse person, anyway. My father-in-law trained horses in the cavalry when he was in the service. I knew he had gotten his ribs broken at least once. I didn't know until after he died, that he also participated in events with horses. Well, I hope things go better soon.

I'm like KC, but I am trying to eat healthy and lose a few pounds. Your recipe sounds good. Rosemary is one of my favorite herbs.

jan said...

You are very nice to cook something you don't like!

Beautiful flowers! I can almost smell them!

Gail said...

I can barely stand the smell of salmon served at the same table~~it's just too fishy for me! gail

Shady Gardener said...

I have to admit that I had a hard time reading your post because your photos were so beautiful! :-) Loved the butterfly, also. Your recipe does sound good. I enjoyed re-reading your post! ha.

Granny J said...

Hazel does a great job of butterflies, as well as zinnias. As for tuna, yum, yum, yum! You could cook tuna for me any day.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Kate girl I love what you did to your blog for now, until next Halloween ... right ?? LOL
I left a note back on mine about more varieties of sage including Transylvanian , honest to god ! check the link at the end of that post and they list 23 at there nursery : )
I guess it would be hard to grill tuna from a can ?? LOL
Joy

Chloe m said...

My daughter hates, HATES fish. I doubt this would even convince her. but I LOVE fish and I will try this, especially because you have Rosemary and I need to find an excuse to cook with it. Thanks,KATE!
Rosey

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, Hocking Hills!
A cardinal??? Oh, I'm so very jealous. I try to entice them but we don't get very many pretty songbirds up here. And, never cardinals.

If it's any consolation, I can't get Zinnias to grow either. Which is probably why I take so many pictures of Hazel's... :)

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, Sue!
Thanks for visiting and thanks for the info on bloom day. This is a fun idea and I'm glad I can participate.

Horses - maybe it's an affliction. Or an addiction. They're dangerous and expensive but at least for me they provide some of the most rewarding experiences of my life...

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Thanks, Jan!
Perhaps daughter L has become a fish lover to push my buttons... :) Stranger things have happened!

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, Gail!
So nice to meet another person who tells it like it is with respect to salmon! :))

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Thanks, Shady Gardener - very sweet of you to say. I liked your blog a lot, too, and plan to visit often. :)

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, Granny;
For you -- I would make this recipe again, should we ever meet in the real world.

However! Please don't expect me to eat it... :D

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hey Halloween Joy!
Very nice to see you over here!

Transylvanian Sage? Get out! Surely we can work this angle for a super creepy recipe for next October!

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, Rosey;
You're raising one smart daughter... :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh how funny you are, Kate! That recipe does sound delish, and I love the part about feeding it to Bad Dog, just because I love the name. My Peetie Pie twin is named Hazel, BTW. :-)
Frances

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Thanks, Frances!

Hazel (whose garden I photographed) is my oldest and dearest friend. It's also a great name for a kitty.. :D