Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Pretty Poppies

Neighbors must get weary of seeing me outdoors, early in the morning, prowling the garden in my pajamas. In June, new flowers surprise me every day. I'm up early to enjoy the show.

Taking center stage, are vibrant orange Oriental Poppies and sapphire-blue Jacobs Ladder.

Oriental Poppies are gorgeous, commanding perennials with huge flowers as large as my hand. If I call this a 'feel good' plant, you'll laugh and think I mean the opium trade. (Poppies also gave us morphine and codeine - helping people in pain all over the world.)

What I really mean is how good they make me feel. There's just something about these big, floppy flowers that put me in a happy mood.

Next to bright orange poppies are cool blue Jacobs Ladder. The color combination is spectactular - and also a little surprising. Just recently, I discovered that Jacobs Ladder is a shade-loving plant. How this fellow can happily bask in 10 hours of full sun everyday, I don't know... I'm just glad he does!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please let me know if you're looking for a author for your site.
You have some really good articles and I feel I would be a good
asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd absolutely love to
write some content for your blog in exchange for a link back to
mine. Please shoot me an e-mail if interested.
Thank you!