Saturday, June 24, 2006

Thelma & Louise Meets Deliverance

"It's Thelma & Louise meets Deliverance!"
That was the voice mail message from my good friend, Bev.

The bleeding heart in me has wanted to volunteer on the Gulf Coast for awhile, now. But, as usual, it took the energy and resourcefulness of someone else to actually make this happen. I'm the proud owner of a new tool belt!

I don't know what to do with it.. And, I must say, Nordstrom's gives you better personal attention than Home Depot, when being fitted with a new accessory.

But, I've got my belt, a shiny new hammer and an airline ticket. I'm on my way.

Full disclosure: I grew up in New Orleans. Well, not really. I grew up in a crappy little town in South Dakota.

My Mom's sister lives in New Orleans so I got to tag along when she visited. I had my first blind date there. (Total disaster.) And, I always intended to live there - until the folks foiled my plans by refusing to pay for out-of-state tuition. So, I shed more than one little tear when I saw Aunt Florence's hometown of Metairie turn into a muddy swimming pool.

But, what can I do? I got a wild hair a year ago and tried to install a new door in my house. $600 later, it looks pretty good - thanks to the carpenter I hired to save the day...

Imagine my surprise when I applied to Habitat for Humanity and was accepted within hours! And, that's when it hit me. If they'll take me, they'll take anyone. These people obviously need our help!

So, what are YOU doing for vacation this year? Perhaps you could skip the legarthathon at the hotel swimming pool and head to the Deep South to make a difference. Lord knows, they need more talented people than me.

I am reminded of an old public service announcement: "We can all do nothing equally well."
I doubt my contributions will matter much, but it sure feels good to try.

No comments: