Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Oven Roasted Cauliflower Tater Tots

Cauliflower Tater Tots

I've been trying. And, failing. With my pledge to lose a few pounds ~ hoping that would make a world of difference in my energy level. It probably would but it's hard. 

What with the new world order as dictated by Covid. Stay home. Stay safe. I'm just sitting around with lots of time, ~ and snacks! ~ on my hands.

I am well aware of what makes me fat. It's not the cakes and cookies that are a problem for me. It's the bread. And, potatoes. 

I'm slowly evolving into a potato. I get rounder and plumper every year!

So that's what has inspired me to get creative with veggies. This recipe, which was adapted from a Weight Watchers recipe, is about half the calories of regular tater tots and it tastes better than the potato version! At least, I think so.


Oven Roasted Cauliflower Tater Tots

1 large head cauliflower
1 large egg
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese or Cheddar, if you prefer
1 tablespoon cajun, or southwest seasoning.


Begin by turning that head of cauliflower into 'rice.' Pop this raw veggie into a food processor and chop it up very fine, into teeny tiny rice-like pieces. If you live in the desert southwest (like I do) the air will dry out the cauliflower bits rather quickly.

Spread the little cauliflower bits onto a paper towel ~ try to absorb as much moisture as you can.

You can save time by purchasing raw cauliflower rice - but it is expensive and contains preservatives.
 

Any brand will do.

Put the Cauliflower rice into a bowl, whisk an egg, pour that onto the cauliflower, stir in the Parmesan cheese. I use a melon baller scoop because I like them small and crunchy. Or, use your hands, shmoosh these goodies into tater tot shapes. 

Spread onto a cookie sheet. Drizzle with a little olive oil. Sprinkle with a little sea salt.

Bake @400 degrees (F) for approximately 20 minutes, or until the edges are a nice crispy brown.

* IMPORTANT: Do not use low fat, low sodium cheese.  That's just bad, bad stuff. Fat and sodium contribute mightily to the flavor and texture of cheese. If you want to go that route, skip the cheese altogether. (I worked for Healthy Choice, for many years, and I know a thing, or two, about what goes into that crap.)

 

I'm a big fan of Slap Ya Mama. Prefer to create your own? Try this:

Southwestern Seasoning Ingredients: 

  • 1/4 cup EACH: chili powder and onion powder 
  • 2 tablespoons EACH: ground cumin, ground coriander, dried oregano, dried basil, & garlic powder.

Did you know...? 

Cauliflower is white because it's broad leaves shield it from sunlight while it's growing. We've been 'trained' to believe white vegetables aren't as nutritious. Not true. Cauliflower is included in the CDC's list of 'powerhouse vegetables.'

Enjoy!


No comments: