You can make a colorful splash with one spectacular planter on your balcony.
A 20-inch deep pot can hold 3-4 layers of bulbs. Each layer should bloom at a different time.
Container Planting: Layers of Bulbs
- Bottom of planter: thin layer of rocks or gravel
- Add soil, then first bulb layer: Daffodils
- Cover bulbs with soil, add second layer: Early Blooming Tulips
- Cover bulbs with soil, add third layer: Hyacinths
- Cover with a good bit of soil.
- Snip foliage away, if you notice the next stage of bloomers is being shaded by the first.
- Northerners: bubble wrap on the inside of the pots makes great insulation.
- Get creative on bulb choices. Anything goes!