Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Best. Ever. Green Bean Casserole

Even if you hate beans, you should consider growing the Scarlet Runner Beans. 
Those pretty flowers are hugely popular with people & hummingbirds.

T-48 hours to Thanksgiving ~ I'm not the slightest bit worried ~ and I haven't started grocery shopping. But, I've got the list. It was dictated to me. By my in-house chef!

How lucky can a gal be? My pastry chef cousin is staying in our apartment for the winter. This guy cooks like you would not believe and he loves every minute of it! He even keeps his own sourdough starter for the most delightful breads.

The second I announced the big feast was my responsibility he started rattling off this, that and the other thing. Saying if I'd brave the crowds at the grocery, he would do the cookin'!

He's handing everything but the beans. I pat Campbell's Soup on the back for originally developing this recipe. But, you're not gonna catch me using canned soup for a holiday side dish.

This is a much fresher, from scratch version of that best-loved...

Ultimate Green Bean Casserole Recipe
(Feeds an army)
  • Snap 2 pounds of fresh green beans into bite-size pieces.
  • Drop them into a pot of boiling salt water (use a generous amount of sea salt.)
  • Cook for 5 minutes.
  • Drain beans in a colander, then plunge into ice water to stop the cooking. (They'll be bright green, crisp-crunchy and oh so delicious.)
Make Your Own Cream of Mushroom Soup
  • Remove the stems and slice up 1 lb. of Baby Bella mushrooms.
  • Simmer shrooms in 3-4 tablespoons butter + 2 tablespoon fresh garlic.
  • Stir in 3 tablespoons flour.
  • Add 1.5 cups chicken broth + 1.5 cups cream
  • Salt & pepper to taste. (I use extra spicy Mrs. Dash.)
  • Once the sauce is thick and bubbly, stir in those precious beans.
Building Your Masterpiece
  1. Place a can of those yummy French fried onions in the bottom of a casserole.
  2. Pour in the beans and 'shrooms.
  3. Sprinkle another can of yummy French fried onions on top.
  4. Up the fat content a bit more with dollops of butter.
  5. Bake at 375 (F) for 30 minutes.

~ Enjoy!

No comments: