Saturday, September 01, 2007

The Dog Days of Summer

Changing leaves. Not a welcome sign.

How can summer be over? I feel it's barely begun.


This Labor Day weekend, there is dissension among the ranks.

Seems Mike would rather see us all fight the crowds at the local baseball game instead of fighting over the best camping spot in Southern Utah.

I, for one, am happy Mike is so stubborn. That means I can put in a brief appearance at their BBQ and then go do some stuff I really enjoy.

Like taking Bad Dog for a walk.

There are various definitions for the Dog Days of Summer. It's my term for that hellishly hot time Bad Dog hates most all. (Today!)

When my Explodo Boy desperately needs to run off his craziness, though the heat prevents him from doing so. That's when we visit the Farm Trail.

Copper Moose Farm is a solar-powered, organic farm specializing in heirloom veggies for an adoring public. (Bad Dog & I live approximately one mile behind their trees.) The Farm Trail is the official name. We call it the water trail.

A cool, babbling brook runs the length of this trail, so Bad Dog can take the plunge whenever the heat starts wearing him out.

Along the path we encounter joyful sculptures from an anonymous donor. This, of course, is one of my favorites.
There is a rumor circulating that the pretty flowers on the Hawaiian Islands all came from two women, riding horses and tossing out seeds along the trails. I could be turning a rumor into a fact, but who cares? It's a great story. Gallardia grows wild around here. Blooming brightly, thanks to recent rains.

* The term, Dog Days of Summer (usually July,) was invented by the Romans, who were referring to Sirius, the Dog Star, and the brightest star in the constellation Canis Major. The hottest days of summer coincide with the seasonal ascendancy of Sirius as the brightest star in the heavens. The Romans believed it was the added heat of the Dog Star which caused their hot and humid weather.

3 comments:

Gail said...

Kate, I always look forward to your posts, lovely pictures and cute stories, Bad Dog is cute and your lucky to have him (see my blog). My seeds arrived today, thank you so much, I could not read much of you note though, the ink ran because of the moisture in the package. LOL.
Thank you
Gail

Wunx~ said...

Well, I think you should call him Bad Dog, my Hero, considering that he saved you from wandering lost forever in the desert last Labor Day.

Anonymous said...

What a great trail! I love those sculptures, what fun.