Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Nanaimo's Dream: Selva Negra

Ah, that magical bean that brings us back to reality on Monday mornings...
"I feel as if the whole of Vancouver Island is one over sized, moss-covered sponge what with the constant rain blowing in from the Pacific. Here is my vote for exotic getaways: The Selva Negra coffee plantation in northern Nicaragua."
"We couldn't believe the vegetation. Just imagine... entire ecosystems atop the roof!"
"Agoutis grazing in the front garden... That wonderful aroma of roasting coffee beans. Rapidfire Spanish spoken all around us! Ahhh..."

I take virtual tours to Holland. Maggie dreams of returning to Selva Negra.

Like most great things, this coffee plantation has a rich, 100+ year history but I'd never heard of it until my virtual friend sent me photos. She's such a great writer, I decided to lift her words from the email and stick 'em in the blog!

Brew a fabulous pot of coffee and watch this video of Selva Negra.

* Doesn't Nanaimo sounds exotic? It's actually a water-logged little tourist town in British Columbia. Perhaps Maggie and I can house swap! She can suffer through my unrelenting dry summer heat and I shall curl up with a good book and enjoy her heavy rains!


And the day brightens....
My favorite times during the day are visiting my little blog. Thanks for the photos. It's hard working from home and working alone. I really loved seeing these great pictures and finding a new place to add to the travel list!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

wouldn't that be a fun trip? - Anne

Anonymous said...

I would like to come, too. - YM

Anonymous said...

I'm in!

Anonymous said...

Geez. Even the rats look appealing.

Anonymous said...

I have been to a coffee plantation and it is every bit as beautiful and peaceful as you describe.

Anonymous said...

You're so creative. Here you've taken my simple email and turned it into a stream of consciousness process piece - impatiens...coffee...brahman cattle...song birds...frilly underwear - Where next??

Anonymous said...

Hey - when you go? You better invite me. - Jenn