Monday, May 19, 2008

Geum

On hot days [like this one] I love to weed the garden while the soaker hoses are going. The grown-up version of running through the sprinklers!

I get soaking wet from the knees on down, keeping cool as I wage war against those pesky dandelions.
Little Geum surprised me this morning. I'm still waiting for tulips to bloom and here she is in full flower. She'll stay that way all summer long if you're handy with the scissors.

Geum requires constant deadheading. When I slack off on removing spent flowers she looks as ragged as I do after a full day weeding frenzy.
Geum coccineum Borisii, spring blooming zone 5 perennial. Cute, daisy-like flowers on tall skinny stems that wave in the breeze. (The apricot one is even prettier.)

2 comments:

Iron Needles said...

I love geum! So hardy and durable. I have yellow and the orangey-red. They do very well pressed, too.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I have double bloody marys.