Sunday, August 27, 2006

Heirloom Tomato Appetizer Recipe

Just because I managed to lose all of my own veggies this year, (Memorial Day frost) doesn't mean I have to go without.

Early morning at the local Farmer's Market is a colorful, bustling, fun-filled affair. This week, I came home with more luscious tomatoes than I really need.

So, now it's time to get creative in the kitchen. Here's a tasty recipe I just discovered.

It's so delicious, it easily doubles as dinner.



Heirloom Tomato Broiled Appetizer

You'll need a loaf of crusty bread (garlic or rosemary are great choices,) olive oil, shredded Parmesan cheese, thinly sliced proscuitto, and one fresh-picked, vine-ripened tomato.*
  • Fire up the broiler
  • Cut the bread in half-inch thick, sandwich-type slices
  • Brush with olive oil
  • Add thinly-sliced proscuitto
  • Add thinly-sliced tomato*
  • Cover with shredded Parmesan cheese
  • Broil for 5-10 minutes, until bread is toasty and cheese is melted and bubbly.
Enjoy!

* Please don't wreck this fabulous recipe by using a crummy, store-bought tomato. :-)

No comments: