Saturday, April 26, 2008

Garden Parties & The Problem With Perfection

"Do what you must. Not all that you can." - Mom
Alstroemeria is ready for the party ~ even if I am not.

Ever wonder why lawyers have special paper? Longer paper called legal pads? It's because they bill by the hour so naturally they drum up a long list of things to do that are completely and totally unnecessary.

Maybe that's what I've been doing. I'm having a party to celebrate the coming of age of a special someone. I want to have this party. I also want to have a magic wand. Because I created a lengthy must-do list that can't possibly get done without somebody working a little magic...

Johnny Jump Ups don't know it yet, but they've been assigned table centerpiece duties.

In springtime, my gardens are designed to disappoint. No matter how completely I crowd them with early spring bloomers my brain longs for that certain summer day when every perennial is performing perfectly. (You know which day I'm talking about. The day you're out there, in awe of your flowers, and of course no one else sees this vision of perfection but you.)

Azaleas will sit outdoors.
And, pretend they've been doing that all along.


This time of year, nothing is blooming and I've been fretting about that the whole time I've been planning this party.

As of this morning, I have things back in perspective. Mine is not the kind of house, or garden, that inspires oohs and aahs. But, chances are no one will notice the imperfections but me.

So, I'll clean the kitchen and Pete will clean the dog. (This was a whole lot easier when he was a puppy.) We'll cook up a bunch of great food and hope for the best.

"In a way, nobody sees a flower. It is so small, we haven't the time. To see takes time, like to have a friend takes time." - Georgia O'Keeffe

Alysum Basket of Gold, Meadow Phlox and Primrose are early bloomers ~ a saving grace for high mountain gardens.

1 comment:

Iron Needles said...

I'm glad Pete is so helpful.

I love the 'idea' of parties. If only they would just happen without all the fuss on my part.

Good luck.