Sunday, April 27, 2008

Exponential Daffodils

Peeping Tom Daffodils naturalize, making more Daffies every year. I love the 'wild' look of these little guys.

I've been called a cheapskate more than once and that always hurts my feelings. I am not cheap. I'm broke! Totally different scenario.

I have been known to spend a ridiculous amount of money on Daffodils, though. I can't help myself. Cheery yellow flowers perk up my dull brown garden and if you buy the more expensive bulbs they do something extra special.

Quail Daffies go hog wild, doubling the number of flowers very quickly. I love the buttery yellow color of this one.

Some types of Daffodils divide and create more cheery yellow flowers every single year. 10 bulbs turn into 20, then 40 and, well, you get the picture. Bonus! Mrs. Moose flatly refuses to eat 'em.

So, there ya have it. I'm not cheap. I'm all about value.

Carleton Daffodils are big bruisers that don't seem to mind my high winds. These dudes multiply like crazy!

If you have hard as rock soil like me, you've probably destroyed many a cute, little bulb planting tool. Digging holes with an old crowbar works like a charm!

Walmart sells counterfeit Carletons. I planted 'em and they do not multiply...

These gals sell heirloom Daffodil bulbs!

2 comments:

Iron Needles said...

I've gotta plant me some more spring bulbs this fall. There! I've said it again for this year. Now we will see what happens this fall...

Wunx~ said...

My favorite is Thalia, a dainty white multibloomer with cyclamin type flowers.